Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Feb 28, 2014, 08:58 AM   #351
spencers
macrumors 68020

The only time I've hated driving my manual transmission cars is after leg day at the gym.
spencers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:04 PM   #352
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlepsch View Post
I don't have driving experience with the double clutch systems, but as far as I know, they are essentially sequential gear boxes, like in motorcycles. So when you change gears, you can only switch to the next higher/lower gear. On the other hand, in a classic manual car gear box, once you have disengaged one gear, you can choose any of the other gears. In principle, you could go directly from 1st to 6th in a manual car, completely bypassing the 4 stages between.

This is not possible with a sequential gear box, so having a up/down paddle system is natural choice in this case. If you were installing a H-scheme stick, your gearbox still would need to cycle through all the gears between.
I guess what I'm saying is that the computer would do that for you when you select a certain gear. The computer knows you are requesting gear 2 from gear 5 so it shifts down from 5 to 2 on its own matching your request which would be input using a standard H-pattern (like a joystick selector). Certainly, with a CVT transmission with paddle shifters, there are no sequential gears. They are artificial points along the belt to move to. Paddle shifters are not physically moving any gears sequentially, after all. They're just electronic inputs to the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Badger View Post
The only time I've driven autos is holiday rentals when a manual wasn't available. So much more engaging driving a manual, although cruise control is nice when on a long motorway journey.
What makes you think manuals don't have cruise control? All my cars have been manuals and all of them have had cruise control. The car's gear needs to be within range of what you're asking it to do. I mostly use it on the freeway, but then my car's 2nd gear can go to almost 65mph all by itself. The clutch being pressed in will disengage cruise, but if have/want to shift for some reason, I can just click resume after shifting....

Last edited by MagnusVonMagnum; Feb 28, 2014 at 04:19 PM.
MagnusVonMagnum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 07:31 PM   #353
Micky Do
macrumors 6502a

Fail to see the attraction of automatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamBos View Post
I sure can. Learnt on a Massey 35 before I was 10!!
Similar…. first drove a TE 20 Ferguson tractor on the family farm as a 10 year old kid. That was just a four speed, but have used multi range, multi power and power shift over the years.

First drove a car a couple of years later…. a column change Ford Cortina. At 15 I got my car driving licence in a floor change Austin Mini (about six months after I got my motorcycle licence). Have driven all sorts since then….. three, four, five, six speed, column change and floor change, right and left hand drive, on both sides of the road. Plus right and left foot change motorcycles, with various shift patterns, auto and manual clutch.

It was many years before I first drove an automatic car, and have only occasionally driven one since. I have ridden an automatic motorcycle only once.

I fail to see the attraction of automatic transmission. Bloated with blunted performance. Having to hit the brakes with an automatic, whereas just backing off the gas often provides sufficient deceleration in a manual. Less efficient power transmission, so higher fuel consumption. Auto has little going for it from my point of view.

It is not difficult to learn to use a manual transmission, or adapt to the variations. My ex-girlfriend loved me when I payed for her driving lessons, hated me for insisting that she learn to drive in a pick-up with manual transmission, and loved me when she realised that if she could drive that she could drive anything. She loved me for buying her a motorcycle but moved on when I would not buy her a car that we didn't need…… always a small motorcycle rider and cyclist, I have seldom owned a car; just rent on the odd occasion I need one.

I'll stick with manual…. thankfully in the places where I have lived it is still commonplace.

Last edited by Micky Do; Feb 28, 2014 at 08:07 PM.
Micky Do is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 07:47 PM   #354
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Do View Post
Similar…. first drove a TE 20 Ferguson
Have you ever heard of an Farmall H?
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 08:04 PM   #355
Micky Do
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutwrench View Post
Have you ever heard of an Farmall H?
Is that the one with the front wheels close together? If so, my late uncle used to have one.

Having gown up on a farm and worked on farms for more than 25 years (before becoming a quasi-academic 15 years ago) I am aware of many tractors, but can't put a name to them all. My nephew is the boy for that…. He's a fanatic; has been since he was just a couple of years old, and is now an apprentice diesel mechanic.
Micky Do is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:05 AM   #356
SactoGuy18
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Yahoo to SactoGuy18
Micky Do,

I've driven manual cars, and here's the problem: in recent years shifting mechanisms on many cars have gotten gawd-awful bad. Trying to find the right gear is turning into an adventure with many shifters suffering from a "rubbery" feel.

Also, today's six- to eight-gear automatics have gotten WAY better, thanks to electronics replacing the complex, heavy and trouble-prone hydraulics of past automatic transmissions. I've test-driven a 2014 Hyundai Accent with the six-speed automatic and it shifts gears very efficiently and quickly without the "hunting" between gears that plagued past automatics.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:07 AM   #357
=w=
macrumors 6502a

I'm a little late to the game here, but yes I can. My Father would consider himself a failure if I weren't able to drive a stick.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:27 AM   #358
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Do View Post
Is that the one with the front wheels close together? If so, my late uncle used to have one.

Having gown up on a farm and worked on farms for more than 25 years (before becoming a quasi-academic 15 years ago) I am aware of many tractors, but can't put a name to them all. My nephew is the boy for that…. He's a fanatic; has been since he was just a couple of years old, and is now an apprentice diesel mechanic.
As far as I know the H came in both narrow and wide front ends. It's the first tractor I drove. It was a utility tractor for us. I was too small to drive the bigger 560 ha ha. By the time I left the farm for the service mom and dad worked their way up to about 1000 acres tillable and some monster John Deere tractors, implements and combine. In retirement my father did contract work with GPS guidance tractors and a combine. The tech jump in farming is amazing.

Anyway, back on topic farm equipment aside from trucks and such aren't really manually geared in the same sense I assume the op intended. But like you and the other member posted, the field is where I learned to drive at a very young age.
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2014, 03:38 PM   #359
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoGuy18 View Post
Micky Do,

I've driven manual cars, and here's the problem: in recent years shifting mechanisms on many cars have gotten gawd-awful bad. Trying to find the right gear is turning into an adventure with many shifters suffering from a "rubbery" feel.
That's a simple fix. The WRX has been known for a sloppy rubbery shifter in recent years. All you have to do is replace the bushings with after-market (or in the WRX's case, STi) bushings. No more sloppy shifter. I put Kart-Boy bushings in mine. It shifts great now (also went to a short-throw shift linkage while I was at it). I didn't actually have trouble finding gears even when it was sloppy, though. I always shift up to neutral and then straight up to 3rd (i.e. forcing it could land you in 5th). It's kind of hard to miss the gate doing it that way and doesn't actually take any longer (frankly, I have to wait longer for the revs to match).

Quote:
Also, today's six- to eight-gear automatics have gotten WAY better, thanks to electronics replacing the complex, heavy and trouble-prone hydraulics of past automatic transmissions. I've test-driven a 2014 Hyundai Accent with the six-speed automatic and it shifts gears very efficiently and quickly without the "hunting" between gears that plagued past automatics.
Automated manuals (computer controlled like in the Mitsubishi Evo) shift faster than manuals now, but I still despise paddle shifter sequential shifting.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:10 PM   #360
SactoGuy18
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Yahoo to SactoGuy18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusVonMagnum View Post
That's a simple fix. The WRX has been known for a sloppy rubbery shifter in recent years. All you have to do is replace the bushings with after-market (or in the WRX's case, STi) bushings. No more sloppy shifter. I put Kart-Boy bushings in mine. It shifts great now (also went to a short-throw shift linkage while I was at it). I didn't actually have trouble finding gears even when it was sloppy, though. I always shift up to neutral and then straight up to 3rd (i.e. forcing it could land you in 5th). It's kind of hard to miss the gate doing it that way and doesn't actually take any longer (frankly, I have to wait longer for the revs to match).
Some manuals are excellent "out of the box" from the factory: I especially like BMW, Honda and Porsche manuals because it's almost like operating a toggle switch with smooth, precise actions that allow me to find each gear easily. Some older manuals from Toyota are that way, too--I really like the manual from the first-generation Toyota MR2.

What's interesting is I've read in some cases shortening the height of the shifter mechanism really helps in improving the action of the shifter. I've read that on the old Nissan Silvia (200SX) sports hatchback from the 1980's, this trick actually worked quite well.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 06:48 PM   #361
iJohnHenry
Banned

You bet I can.

I've had several, but one I remember fondly was a '53 flat-head Ford. I paid $100 for it, drove the **** out of it for 2 years, then sold it back to the guy I bought it from for $75.

Oh to be 20 again.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2014, 11:44 PM   #362
NukeIT
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencers View Post
The only time I've hated driving my manual transmission cars is after leg day at the gym.
Have had a similar issue after flying home after a triple marathon (3 marathons in 3 days). Feathering the clutch was out of the question.
NukeIT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 03:51 AM   #363
yjchua95
macrumors 68040

Location: Queenstown, NZ and Melbourne, VIC, Australia (current location)
Send a message via Skype™ to yjchua95
In Malaysia (RHD country), everyone has to pass the driving test with a stick-shifter.

After passing my driving test, I went to automatics immediately (I currently drive a Volvo S60 T6 and a Mercedes E400 hybrid).

That said, I still push the gearstick sideways into manual mode and shift it + or - sometimes.

It's more like the best of both worlds. I suck at balancing the clutch, especially on slopes. Having an automatic lets me do self-shifting whenever I want it, and not having to worry about balancing the clutch as in a traditional self-shifter.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion