Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMa

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2012
Hello everybody! :)

Probably my questions are just plain silly, but this will be my first Mac ever... Please help! :eek:

1. Any driver incompatibility issues with Mac OS X Maintain Lion?
2. Do I need to download and install any software under Mac OS X to use ZR30w?
3. Is this the right cable: Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Adapter Cable http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX28230 ?
4. What should I do to calibrate ZR30w? Nikonsean mentioned that (please see https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1025490/ Post 10,), but I have no idea how to do it... Could somebody please point me in the right direction?
5. Is Mac mini (late 2012) powerful enough to properly display Blu-Ray movies on ZR30w?

Please chime in! :)

nemesis379

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2012
People have been running 30 inch monitors with 2560x1600 resolution by using this adapter (I believe it's the only adapter that works properly).

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB571Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter?fnode=53 (This plugs into thunderbolt port).

Pretty sure the Mac Mini has enough power to play Blu-Ray movies, even on that monitor. I also believe you don't need to install any software to use the monitor, and for calibration, I have no clue xD.

BigMa

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2012
Thank you very kindly, nemesis379!

RE: Blu-Ray movies playback.
Since I am going to use my Mac mini as a General Purpose PC as well as an HTPC, it is a HUGE relief to know I will have no problems in this department! :)

RE: additional software necessity.
After 20+ years using MS Windows OS I am used to all sorts of driver incompatibility problems and this is the reason why I am so-o-o-o worried... :eek:

RE: monitor calibration.
If somebody could please, please tell me how to do this, I would appreciate it greatly indeed! Somehow nikonsean was able to calibrate it in a way that “@ 120 lumens it uses 77 watts”. I think it is a pretty incredible achievement. :confused:

RE: cable.
Since this monitor is equipped with DisplayPort, I was hoping to use straight Mini DisplayPort - DisplayPort cable... But if you are sure I have to go with Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter you suggested, I will purchase it from Apple right away. :(

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Since this monitor is equipped with DisplayPort, I was hoping to use straight Mini DisplayPort - DisplayPort cable... But if you are sure I have to go with Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter you suggested, I will purchase it from Apple right away. :(

You should be able to use the Mini-display to display port cable. While I don't know of anyone using it for a 30" monitor, many are doing this way with 27" monitors just fine. I think where nemesis was confused is that historically the 30" monitors only had DVI, but that's not true anymore for the new 30" monitors.

With all of that said, do you have the monitor already? If you do not already own it, and are planning to use your computer as an HTPC I would recommend you consider one of the 27" monitors. You only lose a 160 lines of pixels but you get a more "normal" resolution for videos (16:10 vs 16:90. Just sayin'

BigMa

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2012
Thank you very much, paulrbeers!

I have just ordered a mDP-DP cable saving this way a few bucks. :D

RE: monitor.
Yes, I am using ZR30w with my monstrous and noisy as hell Alienware PC and, quite frankly, like it very much indeed. Hopefully, it will work with my coming Mac mini! :)

RE: calibration.
Anybody? Please, please help a newbie! :confused:

BigMa

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2012
Thank you Acorn!

This is my understanding as well. Additionally, VLC is being considered by many as a viable free alternative. :)

Anybody on the calibration, please? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.