Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
Apple eventually replaced mine ... and that solved my issue. Totally happy once again!

I went through 2 minis and neither one had good wifi reception. I fixed it by replacing the POS with a FS iPad and everything works as it should. The bonus is having a legible screen.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Your iPad 3 doesn't support 40MHz wide channels on the 5GHz band, which has a shorter range, so it takes the 2.4GHz signal, which is stronger and as far as the iPad is concerned, as fast.

The iPhone 5 does support 40MHz wide channels on the 5GHz band, but it's reception is balls, and hence it connects to the stronger 2.4GHz band as well.

Your iPad Mini has a decent antenna, hence is able to establish a reliable signal on the faster 5GHz band, but the signal is weaker than the one on the 2.4GHz band, which results in the two bars.

Getting a Netgear Dual-Band WiFi extender will fix all of that - and you can take it with you, as well.

Last edited:

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I went through 2 minis and neither one had good wifi reception. I fixed it by replacing the POS with a FS iPad and everything works as it should. The bonus is having a legible screen.

Bitching again, not much else to do in Iowa I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.