Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:58 PM   #1
XMizer
macrumors member

Why partition hard drive for Mac?

What are benefits of making a partition on a hard drive for Mac? If I'm not mistaken, even if the hard drive is partitioned to ntfs for fat32, it can still be used on Mac OS X. Am I right?
XMizer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:16 AM   #2
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMizer View Post
What are benefits of making a partition on a hard drive for Mac? If I'm not mistaken, even if the hard drive is partitioned to ntfs for fat32, it can still be used on Mac OS X. Am I right?
People partition a drive if they want multiple operating systems on the drive (i.e. OS X and Windows). OS X can read FAT32 but not NTFS (at least not easily).
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:19 AM   #3
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

If my memory works.....

NTFS can be only read natively in OS X, but can we written with added software. FAT32 can be read/written. Maybe anyone can weight in?

Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:46 AM   #4
XMizer
macrumors member

thanks.

what kind of software can i use to write NTFS?
XMizer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:29 AM   #5
Vairamuthu
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMizer View Post
thanks.

what kind of software can i use to write NTFS?

Try
  • NTFS-3G (Free)
  • Paragon NTFS (+- 20$)

NTFS-3G does not work fully in Lion and Mountain Lion. you will still get mounting errors every time your computer boots. To fix these errors, you'll have to install this patch for NTFS-3G.

Paragon NTFS is a paid app that enables writing to NTFS drives on Mac OS X Lion and Mountain Lion.
I am using Paragon NTFS and it work's seamless with my NTFS formatted external drive like in Windows 7.

Vairam
Vairamuthu is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help