Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackieTran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
My friend is selling an iPhone 4S thats kinda broken.
She says that the screen is white but she can still receive calls. When she plugs the phone to the computer, you can also see all the apps, music ect.

Is this a hardware problem or software problem

Aug 5, 2012
She says that the screen is white but she can still receive calls. When she plugs the phone to the computer, you can also see all the apps, music ect.

Do not buy this phone

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Unless she is selling it to you for less than $100. That way you can sell it as-is on Ebay for a little more than what you paid.

But if it's anything over $100, don't buy it.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011

Don't buy a broken iPhone or any other for that matter unless you know exactly what is wrong and how much it is going to cost to fix it. buying it without knowing those things would be "buying a pig in a poke"

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Pay $80 for it. Tell her it's not fixable without replacing all the hardware. Throw it at the floor and then take it to an Apple store and pay for OOW replacement which is $150. Enjoy your $230 iPhone 4S.

JackieTran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
Pay $80 for it. Tell her it's not fixable without replacing all the hardware. Throw it at the floor and then take it to an Apple store and pay for OOW replacement which is $150. Enjoy your $230 iPhone 4S.

If I don't buy it, someone else will for £60.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Sounds like hardware issues. What do you plan to do with this phone? Use as is? Repair and use? Repair and sell?

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
unless you can pin point the exact issue, I would stay away unless she will sell for less than $100. Like someone above stated, if it was a software issue, don't you think they would have tried to restore the phone to fix it? If they tried a restore and it still isn't functioning, that could be pointing towards some major problems.

If it is a hardware issue, it sounds like it may need a new LCD Digitizer assembly. Or it may have other internal issues. I would say at this point, avoid it.

JackieTran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I don't think shes even tried to reformat it yet XD.

Basically, what I'll do is do try that hard reset when its in my hand. If that doesn't work, I won't buy it.

But, if that does fix it, do you think the problem will ever appear again or was it just a minior bug in that os

----------

Sounds like hardware issues. What do you plan to do with this phone? Use as is? Repair and use? Repair and sell?

Repair and sell

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I don't think shes even tried to reformat it yet XD.

Basically, what I'll do is do try that hard reset when its in my hand. If that doesn't work, I won't buy it.

But, if that does fix it, do you think the problem will ever appear again or was it just a minior bug in that os

----------

Repair and sell

Its not a software bug. Its the screen that died. A hard reset or an itunes restore will not magically repair a broken LCD screen.

JackieTran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
Its not a software bug. Its the screen that died. A hard reset or an itunes restore will not magically repair a broken LCD screen.

Ive read in multiple cases that it can be a software bug/ lots of youtube videos show the hard reset working for this 'white screen of death'

iRepairParts

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
California
Ive read in multiple cases that it can be a software bug/ lots of youtube videos show the hard reset working for this 'white screen of death'

I've heard several instances of the white screen of death as well.

The only crappy part is, if you restore the phone and get it to work again before you buy it, she will probably charge you more lol.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Yeah I wouldn't buy it unless I knew what was exactly wrong with it. It could be the screen or it could be another internal hardware problem, or both.

mapledress

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013

I don't like broken phone, so,personally I will not buy it.
And The Phone seems have not software problems. I am not sure whether the hardware is good or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.