Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Maybe this is the wrong place to post this, sorry if it is, mods.

Any who, in my late night, sickness induced haze I began to browse eBay. That was when I looked at some chewed up earphones sitting next to me (darn cat!) And then I had an amazing thought (and $10 in my PayPal balance)

FAKE EARPODS. Cheap, they will obviously get chewed up by my feline friend, and gives me a chance to try out that new shape.

Well a quick search and an auction with 3 minutes left and the end result is a purchase of fake Earpods.

Anyone have any experience with them? I'm hoping they sound as good as any other $10 headphones. How do they compare to real ones?

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Maybe this is the wrong place to post this, sorry if it is, mods.

Any who, in my late night, sickness induced haze I began to browse eBay. That was when I looked at some chewed up earphones sitting next to me (darn cat!) And then I had an amazing thought (and $10 in my PayPal balance)

FAKE EARPODS. Cheap, they will obviously get chewed up by my feline friend, and gives me a chance to try out that new shape.

Well a quick search and an auction with 3 minutes left and the end result is a purchase of fake Earpods.

Anyone have any experience with them? I'm hoping they sound as good as any other $10 headphones. How do they compare to real ones?

I got 5 pairs of fake EarPods off nomorerack.

Never again.. The sound quality is NOTHING compared to the real thing. I bought a few extra pair to stash in a few places in case I ever forget the real ones.

They're not terrible, but try not to compare them to the real thing once they arrive... You'll be sad.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
I got 5 pairs of fake EarPods off nomorerack.

Never again.. The sound quality is NOTHING compared to the real thing. I bought a few extra pair to stash in a few places in case I ever forget the real ones.

They're not terrible, but try not to compare them to the real thing once they arrive... You'll be sad.

Are they comparable to the old apple earbuds? That is what i have been using.

When I want good sound quality I have over the ear headphones, these are just extra ones

Buy a case for your earpods.

They come with it. Maybe that'll stop the cat...

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
You don't need to use the original case: I haven't as I haven't bothered to learn the 'trick' of how to wrap and replace. Any case will do, as long as you use it, such as an altoids tin.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
I never use it. It's just too involved a process getting it back in the case and then back out.

I'd prefer to use something where I can just dump the 'pods in and take them back out again.

This. I will not use my FakePods case at all.

Maybe I'll buy a Beats tours bag and take out the clip, then sew a new little bag. Though if I went through all that I would probably buy some real Earpods.

Decisions decisions...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.