Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LouE37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Tried searching for my specific situation and couldnt find what i was looking for. Here is the skinny...

My wife and I are on a family plan. I have the 4s and she has the 4. I'd like to use her upgrade which is coming up in a few weeks and then give her my 4s. More specifically, i'd like to trade in her 4 at a local retailer and then use that $ toward the 5. From there, i want to have my # setup on the 5 and give my wife my 4s (she could care less about having the latest and greatest). My thought is that i can literally swap SIMS between my 4s and her 4 so it then becomes setup with the wifes #. However if i get the 5 would i need to then go to ATT or call them up to have my # setup on that new nano sim? Will a store like Best Buy be able to hand me/wife and un programmed phone so that i can have ATT set it up with my info or can they do that?

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Tried searching for my specific situation and couldnt find what i was looking for. Here is the skinny...

My wife and I are on a family plan. I have the 4s and she has the 4. I'd like to use her upgrade which is coming up in a few weeks and then give her my 4s. More specifically, i'd like to trade in her 4 at a local retailer and then use that $ toward the 5. From there, i want to have my # setup on the 5 and give my wife my 4s (she could care less about having the latest and greatest). My thought is that i can literally swap SIMS between my 4s and her 4 so it then becomes setup with the wifes #. However if i get the 5 would i need to then go to ATT or call them up to have my # setup on that new nano sim? Will a store like Best Buy be able to hand me/wife and un programmed phone so that i can have ATT set it up with my info or can they do that?

Yes use her upgrade to get the iphone 5. When it comes activate it then get a nano sim for yourself to use in the 5 and a micro sim so she can use the 4S.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012

You can use her upgrade and have best buy program your old phone with her info. I have had target and best buy do the same thing. Then just restore everything over. We have 5 lines so we are always doing rotating upgrades. In a lot cases we did not even bother with swapping sim cards, but that is up to you.

LouE37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Thx everyone for the quick response. Looks like well be ok to do this then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.