Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 26, 2002
Anyone here using a Magic Trackpad like a ShuttlePro?
Googled this and so far no go.
Mostly for Avid/FCP and Protools use.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I would imagine its just like using a trackpad on a mpb. I still use my shuttle when I need to scrub the time line etc.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 26, 2002
I would imagine its just like using a trackpad on a mpb. I still use my shuttle when I need to scrub the time line etc.
I know its a cheap purchase but we have enough input peripherals in the graveyard here :)

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
And since you bumped this... if you don't use a tablet you at least better be using one of these to edit.
expert-mouse.gif

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Keebler, I tried the software. After each editing session, I had to untangle my fingers. The standard gestures built in the pad are good enough for me. Most editing is done with the keyboard.

The Magic trackpad rocks! :cool:

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
And since you bumped this... if you don't use a tablet you at least better be using one of these to edit.

Thanks.

To date, I've been using a logitech trackball (I know...I know...most people hate these things, but I love mine - no more wrist problems!).

BUT, I find i can't scrub nearly as well in FCX as I can in FCP7.

My edits are basic in nature - really just adding a few transitions, removing small chunks of footage etc.. so I have the extra buttons on the trackball set for those.

I'm also looking at the contour design shuttlepro v2. Both it and the magicpad look appealing. I was thinking the trackpad might carry over to other apps like Aperture etc...

I think I'll try the magicpad first. I've heard that it's not as sensitive to cold hands, which mine seem to be (low blood pressure and sitting in a basement office :)

Cheers,
Keebler

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
The pad works fantastically with all Mac Apps. It is, basically, an enlarged version of the MBP's trackpad.

At the beginning, I had some issues with Magic Trackpads weird angle (due to the battery housing), but I got used to pretty quick. Especially if you have a large screen, it speeds up your work tremendously compared to a mouse in any app. Coming from the rollerball mouse though, couldn't stand that soap bar Apple sells as mouse nowadays.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
I could never get used to using trackballs for editing. Mouse for me still.

My first few weeks working at a place that every suite had these was HELL. I absolutely couldn't stand them. At the time I had no choice because I wasn't going to bounce from suite to suite with my own mouse. Eventually it grew on me. Now using anything else infuriates me to no end. Specially those old apple mice that the scroll ball would never work on. :)

mBox

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 26, 2002
My first few weeks working at a place that every suite had these was HELL. I absolutely couldn't stand them. At the time I had no choice because I wasn't going to bounce from suite to suite with my own mouse. Eventually it grew on me. Now using anything else infuriates me to no end. Specially those old apple mice that the scroll ball would never work on. :)
I have to ween out my boss (main editor) from his trackball and get the new Wacom Intous 5 in here. Really want to know if that surface can be used with our tools.

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
I have to ween out my boss (main editor) from his trackball and get the new Wacom Intous 5 in here. Really want to know if that surface can be used with our tools.

Sorry to dig up an older thread, thinking of buying a Magic Trackpad since Bestbuy has them refurbished for $36. Did you end up using it for editing? I'm definitely going to try an use the better touch tools to increase its effectiveness.

If anyone else can chime in that has used it, I'd like to hear your opinions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.