Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I sure hope so. I literally have over 50. Autocorrect needs to catch up

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yep, I backed up a 4S with iTunes, restored to an iP5 and all my shortcuts were in place.

FWIW, they also sync across devices with a shared iCloud account, like if I add a new shortcut to my iPad, it's [almost] immediately available on my iPhone.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Yep, I backed up a 4S with iTunes, restored to an iP5 and all my shortcuts were in place.

FWIW, they also sync across devices with a shared iCloud account, like if I add a new shortcut to my iPad, it's [almost] immediately available on my iPhone.

Wait so even if I have a 4S running iOS 5.01, if I back it up then get an iPhone 5 it will transfer over?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Wait so even if I have a 4S running iOS 5.01, if I back it up then get an iPhone 5 it will transfer over?

Yep, the backup is your user generated files (photos, etc.), apps and their related data, configuration files, etc. What I'm _assuming_ happens to OS related configuration files is they're checked for version, and revised as part of the restoration process.

I did need to reinstall my 3rd party apps, but any configuration was already in place. I'm sure with the correct configuration in iTunes (maybe app sync?) the apps would also be restored, but I generally use this as an opportunity to purge some things :)

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Yep, the backup is your user generated files (photos, etc.), apps and their related data, configuration files, etc. What I'm _assuming_ happens to OS related configuration files is they're checked for version, and revised as part of the restoration process.

I did need to reinstall my 3rd party apps, but any configuration was already in place. I'm sure with the correct configuration in iTunes (maybe app sync?) the apps would also be restored, but I generally use this as an opportunity to purge some things :)

Sweet. I love Apple. I just hope all my tweaks are compatible w iOS 6, esp swipenav, zephyr and delete word

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Oh jeez, I have no idea about JB/Cydia apps, I havent' JB'ed an iOS device in like 2 years.
Why not? You realize how many awesome shortcuts/tweaks you're missing out on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.