Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thor25x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Upper Michigan
I have had the 5 since launch day, never dropped and took extremely good care of it. However the sleep/wake button does not function at all.. I must be out of warranty by now (no Apple care), so what are my options?

Thanks.

CandyRedNinja

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2013
Austin
If you got the i5 at launch then you still have a few months of the 1 year warranty. Call apple and make an appointment.

Thor25x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Upper Michigan
Ok thanks! So I should be able to just walk in the Apple store, explain my problem, then what? New button, or new phone?

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
Ok thanks! So I should be able to just walk in the Apple store, explain my problem, then what? New button, or new phone?

from my experience, they will attempt to repair it.. if that doesn't work then they will swap it with a refub unit

Thor25x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Upper Michigan
Also, does the phone have to brought to a Apple store? The closest one is 200 miles away :( Or is it possible to call support, and send it in

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Also, does the phone have to brought to a Apple store? The closest one is 200 miles away :( Or is it possible to call support, and send it in
You can call them I think. Or open a warranty claim online. They will either send you a replacement after they receive your device, or for about $30 plus a temporary hold of about $650 on your credit card, they will overnight you a replacement and then you can send yours in.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ

As stated and found in all of the plenty of threads on this already, apple will likely replace the phone on the spot. Please search next time, this has been covered at least once a day almost.

rnbgrilla

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
I have had the 5 since launch day, never dropped and took extremely good care of it. However the sleep/wake button does not function at all.. I must be out of warranty by now (no Apple care), so what are my options?

Thanks.

I have the same problem as you, but I have apple care, but you still can take it in, I just went yesterday, and they swap it for a new iphone 5,

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone

You can call AppleCare, though since your iPhone is more than 90 days old (and you don't have AppleCare) you may be asked to pay $19 for diagnostic services. Ask if the fee can be refunded if diagnosis determines it's a hardware issue. If a repair is needed, they'll explain your shipping options.

You could also buy AppleCare for $69 (the AppleCare rep will be happy to sign you up - it can be purchased anytime within the first year). That will cover your immediate diagnostic services, and also give you phone support and hardware coverage for another year (2 years from date of purchase for both phone support and hardware coverage).

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011

Make an appointment. They are being nazis about not having appointments.

teribithia

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2012
London
I have the same problem as you, but I have apple care, but you still can take it in, I just went yesterday, and they swap it for a new iphone 5,

In my experience not the new one but the second-hand . :mad::mad:

Some data in the second-hand just not cleared Completely.

aliciadear

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2012
This is a known issue. Mine was doing the thing where it stops working on the right side of the button. I took it in and the guy tried it, said "yep," asked me if my phone was backed up, then brought me a new phone then we swapped. So simple. This was my first iphone and I've never had a phone switch go so smoothly. I wasn't expecting literally all of my settings to cross over when I restored my phone so I was thrilled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.