Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happymacker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
PA
First of all, glad I made the switch to Mac. I only wish that I would have started off on one. It's so much easier that I tend to make things difficult while still shaking a PC-mindset.

Does anyone know of a keyboard shortcut that allows a window to be restored to its original size once it's minimized or hidden? I would like to use the command+tab to switch to the application, then restore the window with the keyboard. For example, when using mail, I will minimize the window and use Safari. When I cycle back to mail (command+tab) I have activated the program again, but I have to click on Window>Message Viewer to see my mailbox again.

Maybe I'm just being lazy. But, I want to figure this out. Thanks.

tjevans

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2006
Try Witch

Download "witch," which, (no pun intended) is similar to the windows alt-tab powertoy, and a supplement to the mac's cmd-tab function. You can set a preference to allow it to restore minimized windows. I just tried it with Safari and it worked.

I'm a ROb

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
Netherlands
If you don't want to switch from your keyboard to you mouse, you could also use:
- press CRTL + F3 to activate the Dock
- use the arrow keys to navigate to the minimised window.
It's perhaps not the fasted solution, but it works.

pcorajr

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Download "witch," which, (no pun intended) is similar to the windows alt-tab powertoy, and a supplement to the mac's cmd-tab function. You can set a preference to allow it to restore minimized windows. I just tried it with Safari and it worked.

Sweet thanks for the tip, i am a big time keyboard user and hardly use my mouse but for gaming or other minor things.

jrwest

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2007
Instead of minimizing the window, hide the window. Cmd H. I believe that when you Cmd Tab through your apps, when you select one, it will restore any app window to the screen that has been hidden.

More useful than minimize IMO.

I hope this answers your question. I may have misunderstood though.

First of all, glad I made the switch to Mac. I only wish that I would have started off on one. It's so much easier that I tend to make things difficult while still shaking a PC-mindset.

Does anyone know of a keyboard shortcut that allows a window to be restored to its original size once it's minimized or hidden? I would like to use the command+tab to switch to the application, then restore the window with the keyboard. For example, when using mail, I will minimize the window and use Safari. When I cycle back to mail (command+tab) I have activated the program again, but I have to click on Window>Message Viewer to see my mailbox again.

Maybe I'm just being lazy. But, I want to figure this out. Thanks.

Brôtkvest

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
Instead of minimizing the window, hide the window. Cmd H. I believe that when you Cmd Tab through your apps, when you select one, it will restore any app window to the screen that has been hidden.

More useful than minimize IMO.

I hope this answers your question. I may have misunderstood though.

This information was REALLY helpful!

Being a switcher (or more like an "adder" since there are still PCs in the household) this is something I have been looking for. Why are there two almost similar commands? What does minimize do that hide don't and vice versa??

Thanks anyway!

davewilsn05

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2009
Check this Blog - Minwoo’s Right Brain Archive

I copied and pasted the info below from this blog:

http://nahhhh.com/2008/02/26/restore-minimized-window-in-mac-finally/

Ctrl-F3 which put focus on the Dock. Bah. This method sucks as you need to use arrow key to navigate through the dock icons. It’s good in case you absolutely have to press something on the dock… almost never, for me.
Cmd-tab then press Option as you release Cmd key. Good ‘ol Option key. There are so many hidden goodies on Mac apps associates with the Option. Awesome!

Brôtkvest

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008

Ctrl-F3 which put focus on the Dock. Bah. This method sucks as you need to use arrow key to navigate through the dock icons. It’s good in case you absolutely have to press something on the dock… almost never, for me.
Cmd-tab then press Option as you release Cmd key. Good ‘ol Option key. There are so many hidden goodies on Mac apps associates with the Option. Awesome!

T H A N K S!

Ok, there is one more key invalved, but it definitely does the trick.

In my opinion this is the winner.

I must definitely explore the possibilities of the "Good ‘ol Option key" more :)

haggard126

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2010
Another solution

You can command+tab to the program that is minimized and before you let go of command roll your thumb over to the alt/option key. hope that makes sense

iamfred

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2010

I spent 10 minutes registering, just want to say "This is fabulous!"

minholie

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2013

This is an awesome approach, but for mountain lion, there is a better way:

Cmd+tab to the app that you want.
Ctrl+down to enter application windows
Choosing window you want with arrows keys. The chosen window will be indicated by glowing outer box (the minimized windows will be smaller in the bottom). Enter

Hope this help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.