Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:50 PM   #251
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimfan View Post
Salute returned . . .

(Thank you, but not necessary in civilian world . . . )
I'm willing to bet your ID card has the same expiration date as mine… Indefinite. Hindsight is amazing. If I knew now what I didn't know then, I'd have retired at a higher grade. Field Artillery was not the best branch of service when the 8", Lance and Pershing II were all on the way out. In addition, you can be single as a 2LT, 1LT or CPT but they expect you to settle down, get married and have your wife involved in social events on base when you make field grade.

When they offered to send me back to school to become an Infantry Officer, I had a mental picture of my 37-year-old butt trying to keep up with all those 22-year-olds fresh out of college. I took option B… retirement.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky-Mac View Post
you ex-military guys are so funny
When two military people meet, the first thing they do is size each other up by checking out the decorations. Medals, ribbons, combat patch, branch of service… For enlisted, the hash marks. It's a way of really identifying common experiences. We have a term for it but I'll leave it out since this is a family forum.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 02:53 PM   #252
Huntn
macrumors 604

Heard on PBS this morning: The Iraq Prime Minister Maliki presided over abusive faction policies. The U.S. should not be protecting him.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 04:32 PM   #253
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
When two military people meet, the first thing they do is size each other up by checking out the decorations. Medals, ribbons, combat patch, branch of service… For enlisted, the hash marks. It's a way of really identifying common experiences. We have a term for it but I'll leave it out since this is a family forum.
More like, "Where did you get deployed," to try and determine whose life sucked more. It's a source of pride

2nd question: "What was your MOS?"

3rd question, which only officers usually ask: "Enlisted?"
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 05:31 PM   #254
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
More like, "Where did you get deployed," to try and determine whose life sucked more. It's a source of pride

2nd question: "What was your MOS?"

3rd question, which only officers usually ask: "Enlisted?"
I meant when two servicemen traveling meet (usually in Class A's). Usually the "fruit salad" gives away a few of those answers. Southeast Asia campaign ribbon? Lapels for branch of service, gives you an idea of the MOS. The third question is unneeded if in uniform.

I had to do BASIC twice... that's a pretty hard "suck" to beat. Fort Lost in the Woods, State of Missouri for the first and Fort Sill, OK for the second.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2014, 07:52 AM   #255
phillytim
macrumors 6502a

This, period!
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
let them duke it out and decide for themselves who is going to run that country.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:43 PM   #256
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Should we do anything to intervene?

I just see this as an inevitable result of having "broken" the country with our invasion.

At this point, I'm inclined to believe we should provide humanitarian help and work with friendly neighboring nations to provide refugee camps and security.

Other than that, let them duke it out and decide for themselves who is going to run that country.
And let us sear into our collective memory and the memory of each successive generation the folly of Nation Building. We broke it, we owned it, we went broke and who is laughing now?
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues