Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Closed Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 02:04 AM   #1
Noimus
macrumors newbie

Macbook Air 13" vs Mac Mini

Hey guys I'm stick in a dilemma. I already have a MBP 2011 13" for school use. I commute quite a bit. I don't mind my MBP but I feel like it's just so damn heavy on top of everything else I have and battery isn't the best on it. I already have a desktop PC at home but it's Windows and I really want an OSX operating system so it syncs with all my other devices.

My question is, which one should I get, a Mac Mini or a MBA? I don't play any games at all and their both going to be for school and home use only. I already have an external monitor as well as the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Trackpad.

I want a Mac Mini so that way I don't have to constantly connect my MBP to it and it'll be my main home PC.

I want a MBA because the battery life is just so damn amazing and it's really light so my backpack wouldn't be such a burden for me.

What should I do guys? My budget is about $1000. I'm planning on buying one or the either refurbished in case you guys were wondering!
Noimus is offline   0
Old Jul 30, 2013, 02:40 AM   #2
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

2013 MBA's aren't available refurbished just yet.

But for your main concern, you could really go both ways. A dual computer setup is nice (MBP + Mini), but there's always the issue of having files synced between both computers.

Since you already have a monitor + trackpad + keyboard, a Mini sure does make sense. But they are currently a generation behind, if that means anything to you.

I'm personally transitioning to a MBA + iMac setup to an rMBP setup soon, as I think I'd prefer a more simplistic setup. I'll then pick up an external monitor (ideally a TBD) for desk work. But that's all just my preference.

All-in-all, just depends on what you want. Does having a lighter laptop appeal more to you than having a desktop?

IMO, spending an extra $1000 on a desktop just because you want it to run OSX seems pretty superfluous when you already have a MBP. I'd just replace the MBP with an MBA, then pick up a USB hub or TB hub if plugging in all your peripherals is a pain.
KylePowers is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice