Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I already have a few people at the apple re sellers but i want to put this forum as well. To post and make a 20 seconds news

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
Interesting thread. Glad that I stumbled across it. My 2008 iMac has streaks in the upper-left corner that appeared and grown over the past year or so. At first I thought it was dust or candle smoke that got vacuumed in from the bottom, and I was planning to research whether it's possible to pull the glass and clean it.

Despite the good experiences I've had with this iMac, my next desktop probably will be a Mini. One reason is because I want a really big display. Another is because the iMac has gotten so thin in the latest generation that I'm concerned about thermal failure becoming more likely.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Interesting thread. Glad that I stumbled across it. My 2008 iMac has streaks in the upper-left corner that appeared and grown over the past year or so. At first I thought it was dust or candle smoke that got vacuumed in from the bottom, and I was planning to research whether it's possible to pull the glass and clean it.

Despite the good experiences I've had with this iMac, my next desktop probably will be a Mini. One reason is because I want a really big display. Another is because the iMac has gotten so thin in the latest generation that I'm concerned about thermal failure becoming more likely.

The cooling is actually massively improved in the new ones :)

And the streaks could be on the LCD, they could be on the glass. Could you post a photo of it on a white screen (i.e. the boot screen)?

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
And the streaks could be on the LCD, they could be on the glass. Could you post a photo of it on a white screen (i.e. the boot screen)?

Let me know if this works:

IMAG0666.jpg

The vertical lines are an artifact from my camera. The ones at an angle are the streaks I described.

Coffee Minutes

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2012
My friend's iMac has this problem

I've seen this black smoke thing in the upper left-hand corner area. It looks like horizontal-like blotchy lines in this quad. His iMac was purchased in 2010 and it began to show these blotches after 1.5 years (he didn't have Apple care 3 yr coverage) of use. He runs a lot of photo and video editing on it and ts usually on all the time. He also smokes if that has any significance. He's just living with it for now.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Just a friendly reminder, these computers are mass produced in high volume.

A normal practice of all name brand OEM's.

It's statistically impossible for the OEM'S or their suppliers to achieve a 100% success rate.

That's why there's a warranty and repair facilities to support them.

canadianpj

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
In no way am I saying that some people are not having a problem. I have a new 2012 27" iMac and there is nothing wrong with the screen at all. I can be a very picky person and was happy to not be able to find a problem.

The OP is upset, understandable but there will never be a "complete" recall as it's not a universal problem.

BigMac25

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2009
OP has not responded since his first post. He won't call Apple to fix it? He just leaves a flame post to stir up controversy? Sounds like a ihater to me. Maybe he/she got fired from Apple? We really only hear the bad issues not all the great imacs that are bought, yet because one guy has an issue that he won't call Apple with everyone else needs to stay away from a imac? Wow.. just wow

PhillyAnt

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2013
Philly
Is this what you guys are referring to? These 3 pictures are from my 2008 iMac. You can't really see anything when the screen is dark or when it is turned on. When you flash a light onto the screen, it all comes out. The outside of this display is clean. Everything you see is on the inside of the display coming from the top left corner.

IMG_2558_zps1b547ab4.jpg

IMG_2554_zpse229580e.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.