Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cragga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Hi

It's been a while since I posted but I was wondering if someone could help as I'm not too techy minded when it comes to internet connections.

I was on YouTube last night on my iMac, when an alert message popped up saying that another computer/user/device etc. was using my IP address! Sorry can't remember the exact message as I panicked a bit!

If I remember rightly I had to reset my router (wireless, but iMac plugged in using ethernet cable) as I lost connection for some reason on the iMac. So I think the message came up a few minutes after resetting.

We do have two iPhones in the house using the router's wifi, so could it be one of these that was trying to use the same address and it conflicted, or is somebody watching me and has hacked in? What was worrying was that I have had the mac a good 4 months and completely forgot to turn Firewall on, until last night that is!

Hope someone can help?

Cheers

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Don't worry about it. It is a bug in the way iOS devices try to grab the same IP address again. You can read about it here.

Usually you can just tell your Mac to grab another IP from the router by going to the Network pane in System Prefs, then Advanced, then renew DHCP lease.

zB0kOGz.png

cragga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Don't worry about it. It is a bug in the way iOS devices try to grab the same IP address again. You can read about it here.

Usually you can just tell your Mac to grab another IP from the router by going to the Network pane in System Prefs, then Advanced, then renew DHCP lease.

zB0kOGz.png

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

It was just very worrying, seeing as though I'd never come across it before. Weird that it sort of happened when I started viewing a YouTube clip though. I take it this was just coincidence then?

Cheers

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

It was just very worrying, seeing as though I'd never come across it before. Weird that it sort of happened when I started viewing a YouTube clip though. I take it this was just coincidence then?

Cheers

Yep... just a coincidence. You are in good shape. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.