Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usachasen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Hello MacRumors,

Recently I have joined the U.S. Navy, and I leave for an 8 month deployment on a ship soon. I am a huge movie fan, and I own a lot of movies (blu-ray and dvd). I have a 15inch i7 MacBook Pro, with an external blu-ray reader. I am desperate for an detailed set of instructions on how i can take a Blu-ray movie (such as Avatar for an example) WITH SUBTITLES and rip it to my Macbook Pro then put it into iTunes. I have read lots of posts about this topic. None of them however have worked for me.

You should know though that I am not that good with computers. Nor do I know what some phrases mean such as "Forced only subtitles", "burned in subtitles", or other stuff like that. It is important to know that I need the movies to have the subtitles on them. For an example, when I watch Avatar, I need to read what the blue people are saying. If they are speaking english though, I don't need to see it. So I only want to see subtitles on words that are not in english.

I know that Blu-ray movies take up a lot of space on a HDD, but that is why i have invested with an 1 TB hard drive to put all the movies on. I am willing to pay money for this to work. I mean that if some software is going to cost me, I am willing to pay the price.

Your information is very valuable to me, and I am looking forward to what you guys have to say. Just please remember that I am not good with computers, and you have to be very specific with your instructions. Thank you very much, and have a nice day.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Hello MacRumors,

Recently I have joined the U.S. Navy, and I leave for an 8 month deployment on a ship soon. I am a huge movie fan, and I own a lot of movies (blu-ray and dvd). I have a 15inch i7 MacBook Pro, with an external blu-ray reader. I am desperate for an detailed set of instructions on how i can take a Blu-ray movie (such as Avatar for an example) WITH SUBTITLES and rip it to my Macbook Pro then put it into iTunes. I have read lots of posts about this topic. None of them however have worked for me.

You should know though that I am not that good with computers. Nor do I know what some phrases mean such as "Forced only subtitles", "burned in subtitles", or other stuff like that. It is important to know that I need the movies to have the subtitles on them. For an example, when I watch Avatar, I need to read what the blue people are saying. If they are speaking english though, I don't need to see it. So I only want to see subtitles on words that are not in english.

I know that Blu-ray movies take up a lot of space on a HDD, but that is why i have invested with an 1 TB hard drive to put all the movies on. I am willing to pay money for this to work. I mean that if some software is going to cost me, I am willing to pay the price.

Your information is very valuable to me, and I am looking forward to what you guys have to say. Just please remember that I am not good with computers, and you have to be very specific with your instructions. Thank you very much, and have a nice day.

See this thread over on the AppleTV forum.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
In addition to the thread above, I heartily recommend my tutorial on converting / OCR'ing / playing back BD subtitles. See #22 and #23 at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1469630/

Note that, should you want to play it only on the Mac, use VLC and MakeMKV. The latter will rip BD subs (but doesn't recognize the forced flag). Basically, if you do not mind the large sizes of the non-recompressed video stream in the ripped MKV files, you can rip and entire BD disc in 20-30 minutes. It's all you (then) need - no HandBrake, no nothing. Then, just use VLC for playback.

For converting to iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, ATV), you'll need to convert the audio and/or the subs. (Unless its audio is DTS / PCM (non-AC-3) and you use It's Playing on non-ATV devices, which does render BD subtitles.)

KeithPratt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
The "forced only" subtitles in Avatar are the ones that appear when the big blue cats are talking — the bits of dialogue that aren't in the film's primary language. "Burned in" means the selected subtitles become part of the picture and can't be removed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.