Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDev879

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
I initially planned to purchase Black Ops for Mac from the Mac App Store for my late 2009 iMac. I was thinking I'd then buy GameCompanion and connect an Xbox 360 controller to my computer, effectively making it an Xbox. Unfortunately, I just checked the machine's specs, only to find that I have 256 MB of video RAM instead of the recommended 512 MB.

The exact card is the ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB. If I did purchase the game, would I notice a severe amount of dropped frames, making gameplay really frustrating? If so, are there quality settings in the game I could turn down? Also, could the use of a wireless controller create additional lag? Any advice appreciated.

Nuttydev

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Bristol, England.
I have the same video card and had a free weekend for BO on Windows a while ago and it ran perfectly fine on high/medium with 40-60+ fps at 1080p. Not sure how it'd be on OS X though, as games usually don't run as well as in Windows.

AppleDev879

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Yeah, strangely enough the PC version only requires 256 MB of video RAM, but the Mac version requires 512 MB. Do you think I could run the PC version off Parallels with better results?

AppleDev879

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Well shall I just consider myself out of luck, or do you think the gameplay would be smooth enough?

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Turn everything to lowest possible, then move up step by step to try and balance graphics quality and performance.

AppleDev879

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Turn everything to lowest possible, then move up step by step to try and balance graphics quality and performance.[/QUOTE

Haha I would, problem is I haven't bought the game yet. I'm really hesitant to spend $50 on a game that might not even run. So I'm just trying to see if anyone has attempted to run the game with this configuration.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Sorry, misread your post ;;

You could search for videos on Youtube, etc on how a particular game runs on a particular Mac, I did that when I was in doubt about UT3.

I'd tell you how it runs on my, admittedly, newer iMac, but the game requires 10.8 for some reason o_O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.