Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perabear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Glen Allen, VA
I have a 21.5-inch, Late 2012 iMac and was wondering; how do you create an ISO image from an existing Windows 7 installation disk onto a usb flash drive?

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
I have a 21.5-inch, Late 2012 iMac and was wondering; how do you create an ISO image from an existing Windows 7 installation disk onto a usb flash drive?

Assuming you have an external DVD drive, If you use the bootcamp assistant, it will take you through it and do it for you. ( middle option )

Trinite

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
Is it possible to do this on one computer to use in another - without an external app?

In other words, can I put the Windows 7 disk into my Macbook, and use bootcamp assistant to make an ISO image to put onto a flash drive to use in my (eventual) 2012 iMac - without changing bootcamp on the Macbook?

Would this be basically the same procedure as mentioned a few comments above?

Thanks for any help!

EndlessMe

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
Is it possible to do this on one computer to use in another - without an external app?

In other words, can I put the Windows 7 disk into my Macbook, and use bootcamp assistant to make an ISO image to put onto a flash drive to use in my (eventual) 2012 iMac - without changing bootcamp on the Macbook?

Would this be basically the same procedure as mentioned a few comments above?

Thanks for any help!

The way that I did it was a little bit different. You can use the Disk Utility application that is already installed on your Mac to make a .cdr file, then convert it straight to .iso from command line.

1.) Open Disk Utility, click the DVD drive on the left hand side, select file > new > disk image from "<name of disk>".

2.) Next save the image to your Desktop, and select DVD/CD master in the "image format" drop-down menu. Select "none" for encryption.

3.) This should leave you with a .cdr disk image file on your Desktop. You can now open a Terminal window (easily found searching spotlight for "Terminal"). After a terminal is open, type

cd ~/Desktop
hdiutil makehybrid -iso -joliet -o win7image.iso win7image.cdr

Though, you must change "win7image.iso" and "win7image.cdr" to whatever you named the .cdr image file in step2 in the above command. It takes a few seconds to process and then you should have a .iso file that you can put onto a USB drive that Bootcamp will recognize.

One side note: do NOT create the bootdrive through Bootcamp with the newly created .iso until after you receive your new iMac. You will want to make sure that Bootcamp will load the drivers specifically associated with your new iMac and not with your old Macbook.

Last edited:

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I downloaded the ISO from Digital River and used the Bootcamp assistant to make the bootable USB.

nealf

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2005
FINALLY!! Found a program that will create an iso out of your DVD. It's called LeawoBlurayCopy. It's $44 for a one year license, but if you're tired of wasting time it's worth it.
I've tried all the fixes. Couldn't get the Terminal to do it for me. Not a nerd so maybe I did something wrong.
But this was easy.
So if you don't mind the price, go for it. (No. I'm not from the company.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.