Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jthesssin

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
Matthews NC
Hello all! I have what I think is a very unique issue. Let me start by laying out the system:
AppleTV 3rd generation via HDMI to a Pioneer VSX1120 receiver.
Mid 2010 Mac Mini via HDMI to the receiver (its my HTPC for surfing the net and working).
The receiver is outputting to a 55" Samsung LED via HDMI
iTunes media/library is stored on a 2TB time machine

After I turn on the AppleTV I normally select my iTunes (by selecting computers) library in order to watch one of my handbrake ripped DVD's. any time I pause, or otherwise change my viewing (switching to my purchased movies, or Netflix) the Mac Mini will start playing music via the inboard speaker. I then need to switch inputs and stop the music by pausing it.

If I use the ATV to watch Netflix or stream my purchased movies from the iTunes Store I do not have this problem, only when streaming from my iTunes library.

Anyone with ideas on how to stop this would be a life saver. Is there a way to simply play a movie directly from the time machine even if iTunes is not running (this means my home sharing is turned off)?
Thanks!!!

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
s there a way to simply play a movie directly from the time machine even if iTunes is not running (this means my home sharing is turned off)?

No.

Sounds like you need to put some black electrical tape over the IR sensor on your Mac Mini. I'm guessing it's responding to the remote when you're changing movies on the ATV.

Ed: I'm sure there's a software solution that doesn't involve tape but you get the idea :)

jdblas69

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Yes your Apple TV remote is causing your Mac mini to respond and do funny things when your itunes is open on your mini. You can disable the IR on the mini in system preferences, under security select advanced options and make sure disable IR is checked off.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Or you can pair the remote to the Apple TV in settings>general>remotes>pair remote. This should fix it.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Or you can pair the remote to the Apple TV in settings>general>remotes>pair remote. This should fix it.

no it wouldn't, pairing the remote only causes the receiver to listen to a specific remote. the mini would still respond.

each apple remote contains an ID code (0 to 255), when you hit a button it sends the button and the ID code so "play-234"
pairing tells the receiver to listen only to a specific ID, and ignore the rest.
an un-paired reciever will listen to all codes.

you would have to pair the mini with a different remote for it to ignore the aTV remote. or as jdblas69 turn off the receiver.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
no it wouldn't, pairing the remote only causes the receiver to listen to a specific remote. the mini would still respond.

each apple remote contains an ID code (0 to 255), when you hit a button it sends the button and the ID code so "play-234"
pairing tells the receiver to listen only to a specific ID, and ignore the rest.

you would have to pair the mini with a different remote for it to ignore the aTV remote. or as jdblas69 turn off the receiver.

Oh my bad. I have one of each of my remotes paired with my Mac mini and Apple TV so I just figured that's how it worked. Guess I learned something today. :)

CaptTCS

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2013
Bainbridge Island, WA

Yea.. Just pair one remote with ATV and the other with Mini.

Or... Do what I do and use a remote with the ATV and a Wireless Touchpad with the Mini. The Touchpad makes a great remote for the Mini.

jthesssin

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
Matthews NC
It worked.....

Thanks for the suggestion on the iR disable... never even knew my mini had an IR receiver. Sorry about not responding. I assumed I would get an email if someone posted a reply to my original post so I wasn't looking :)

Again, Thanks everyone!

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Hello all! I have what I think is a very unique issue. Let me start by laying out the system:
AppleTV 3rd generation via HDMI to a Pioneer VSX1120 receiver.
Mid 2010 Mac Mini via HDMI to the receiver (its my HTPC for surfing the net and working).
The receiver is outputting to a 55" Samsung LED via HDMI
iTunes media/library is stored on a 2TB time machine

After I turn on the AppleTV I normally select my iTunes (by selecting computers) library in order to watch one of my handbrake ripped DVD's. any time I pause, or otherwise change my viewing (switching to my purchased movies, or Netflix) the Mac Mini will start playing music via the inboard speaker. I then need to switch inputs and stop the music by pausing it.

If I use the ATV to watch Netflix or stream my purchased movies from the iTunes Store I do not have this problem, only when streaming from my iTunes library.

Anyone with ideas on how to stop this would be a life saver. Is there a way to simply play a movie directly from the time machine even if iTunes is not running (this means my home sharing is turned off)?
Thanks!!!

Haha, I had the exact same problem.

Just go (in OSX) to System Preferences>Security and Privacy

Then click on the padlock to unlock it and add password.

Then tick 'Advance' and the bottom right and click 'Disable remote control infrared receiver'.

The guys at Apple though long and hard about that option when they put it under 'Security and Privacy'. :rolleyes:

Edit: sorry I just realised you have two remotes. My suggestion works to stop the remote working on the mini. Having said that, you can pair or unpair in that setting anyway so that might help. Check it out anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.