Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Old Jul 6, 2013, 04:27 PM   #1
emir
macrumors 6502

NTFS with Mavericks

As far as I know at Mountain Lion OS X can read NTFS but we need some 3rd party paid app to write NTFS. Is it the same with Mavericks or is there native support?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 07:07 PM   #2
w0lf
macrumors 6502a

Same.
w0lf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 08:02 PM   #3
jhfenton
macrumors regular

Same, as wolf said.

And the current version of Paragon NTFS seems to work perfectly under Mavericks DP1 and DP2.
jhfenton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 03:06 AM   #4
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhfenton View Post
Same, as wolf said.

And the current version of Paragon NTFS seems to work perfectly under Mavericks DP1 and DP2.
And Mavericks still uses HFS+ is assume?
Old Jul 7, 2013, 08:23 AM   #5
jhfenton
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmachiel View Post
And Mavericks still uses HFS+ is assume?
Yes. There are no major file system changes. (Though I haven't delved deeply into CoreStorage to see what new features/interfaces they may have added/tweaked.)
jhfenton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:17 AM   #6
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhfenton View Post
Yes. There are no major file system changes. (Though I haven't delved deeply into CoreStorage to see what new features/interfaces they may have added/tweaked.)
I see. I don't know that much option file systems but I heard some people saying recently that HFS+ is getting old, and they wish Apple would go with something like ZFS. But unfortunately, no progress yet.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 11:13 AM   #7
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmachiel View Post
I see. I don't know that much option file systems but I heard some people saying recently that HFS+ is getting old, and they wish Apple would go with something like ZFS. But unfortunately, no progress yet.
What I want to know when the say HFS+ is getting old is what features they think it is lacking.

As for ZFS, what will that really gain you on a small one or 2 disk system? ZFS does have its uses, but most Mac configurations wouldn't really benefit from it in my opinion.

If Apple did adopt another filesystem as the main filesystem for OS X imagine the compatibility issues for moving external drives around. Also, would you have OS X change the filesystem on an OS upgrade or would you wind up with some people using one filesystem and other people using the new filesystem? This would become a support nightmare.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 09:41 PM   #8
spaceballl
macrumors 68020

Any ability to read / write EXT3/4 volumes natively with Mavericks? Or no change here?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:56 AM   #9
kemo
macrumors 6502a

I've been using Paragon NTFS 10.2.204 for a while now and no problem at all on Mavericks, I actually don't see a reason upgrading all 3 of my computers to Paragon NTFS 11...
Old Nov 17, 2013, 01:08 PM   #10
grahamperrin
macrumors regular

Zfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
ZFS, what will that really gain you on a small one or 2 disk system?
*OS X Mavericks (10.9) > Where is the ZFS? > ZFS with one- or two-disk systems
grahamperrin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:51 PM   #11
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000

Is SMB NTFS different?
I have a NAS that's been formatted as NTFS and when I mount it on my Mavericks Macbook it sees it as SMB NTFS and it writes to it just fine (one I gave my Macbook the right permissions).
Is this not normal?
Gjwilly is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2013, 07:46 AM   #12
throttlemeister
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjwilly View Post
Is SMB NTFS different?
I have a NAS that's been formatted as NTFS and when I mount it on my Mavericks Macbook it sees it as SMB NTFS and it writes to it just fine (one I gave my Macbook the right permissions).
Is this not normal?
Your Mac isn't writing to the disk, your NAS is.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 08:02 AM   #13
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlemeister View Post
Your Mac isn't writing to the disk, your NAS is.
Interesting......
So now that I've switched to a Mac I was considering reformatting the NAS as exFAT.
Are you saying there'd be no point in doing that?
Thanks
Gjwilly is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2013, 08:22 AM   #14
throttlemeister
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjwilly View Post
Interesting......
So now that I've switched to a Mac I was considering reformatting the NAS as exFAT.
Are you saying there'd be no point in doing that?
Thanks
There might be, but not for your mac. When you write to a NAS or network share, you send the data to the NAS or other computer, and the NAS or that other computer does the actual write action to the disk.

So for the remote computer, it doesn't matter one bit which filesystem is used as long as the NAS can write to it.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)