Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GKDAIR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
Hardcore gamers seem to have a hatred of the device, and the ios platform.

I think they are scared. The graphics are getting better, the technology is getting better, I personally believe the traditional console will not be around much longer. Look how everybody is concered with getting things smaller and faster. Nobody will want a clunky console that doesn't upgrade or change for 7+ years. I mean it's bad when my phone has better graphics than some xbox 360 games.

Now, yes. ios games still have a long way to go before they can compete with traditional 60 dollar games. But the potential is there.

pjv1990

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
For me the problem isn't the graphics/power of the tablet or how stunning the games are for it, its the control method. A tablet cannot compete with a joypad/keyboard for controlling games, I couldnt imagine trying to play a game like skyrim on an iPad and its for that reason alone that tablets will never be the main platform for games.

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
It's a shame all that power is wasted when the games are barely playable due to having to use invisible buttons.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I might be in the minority here but, as much as I love my iPad it will never replace my PC for gaming. I play simple games on the iPad but for hardcore games I need a keyboard and a mouse.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I might be in the minority here but, as much as I love my iPad it will never replace my PC for gaming. I play simple games on the iPad but for hardcore games I need a keyboard and a mouse.

+1

Call of Duty on a 30" LCD with keyboard and mouse will never be touched by a tablet.

Never.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Just because people love watching YouTube clips and videos on their mobile doesn't mean watching full length films in cinema or HDTV will become obsolete. It's a different experience. Sure there might be some overlaps but generally speaking people will suit different devices to different needs just like they do with games.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I'm also for co-existence ... I tried Doom on iPad. It's not the same as on the PC. Controlling with keyboard was more precise years back. For the learning curve is still too steep for me.

Other games will never be as good on the PC (like AngryBirds or CatapultKing): they life for the interaction with the device.

While the tablets have already quite good power the much better one remain on the desktop. For some years to come.

Using both is ok. And even combine.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I don't think "hard-core" gamers are threatened by any mobile gaming device. But it somewhat depends on how you define hardcore...

-MMORPG "hardcore" gamers? Nothing compares to depth of a full PC experience, not even consoles.
-FPS "hardcore" gamers. Nope, although the engines are getting better, and a lot of the better portable FPS games support online multiplayer, it took years for console FPS games to threaten dominance over keyboard+mouse PC FPS games. And that's still a hotly debated point as-is.
-RTS/Strategy gamers. I'd argue that while the mobile gaming platforms CAN rival PC games for this, particularly when you consider the real-time aspect of "always with me" online gaming, there are very few that have actually done so. I'm somewhat surprised that all those "Free to Play" web/Flash games (like Evony) haven't migrated en masse to the iOS/Android devices yet. Seems like PERFECT opportunity for them to move in. I know when I once played Travian, that game all but SCREAMED for a mobile app so you could keep an eye on your villages/attacks/etc.
-Arcade "hardcore" gamers. Are there any of these left? If so, I'd say the virtual controls of most mobile devices makes this less than ideal.

So really, the only "hardcore" gamers that may be worried about mobile gaming are the RTS strategy gang. And even then..unfulfilled potential only.

Now CASUAL gamers...well, that's a whole different topic. But by definition, I'd say that mobile gaming has opened up a whole new segment of the population to casual gaming than ever existed before.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I ind that turn based card games are quite suited for mobile. Sometimes, you just want a quick game or two outside and it's there in your smartphone or ipad. No need to switch on your pc or sit in front of it.

Otherwise, the other games either have cumbersome controls, or dumbed down significantly to make them run on a touchscreen.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Your logic makes no sense at all. Why would a gamer feel threatened by a gaming device? Did gamers feel threatened by the Gameboy or PSP? No, because they payed games. Are gamers threatened by tablets? No, because they play games.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Actually Id say no, most hardcore gamers (used to be one and know plenty of them) usually own one or two devices of each platform.
They'll have one or two xboxes, ps3, wii, iPads, iPhones, iPods, whatever they can game on, you name it. Hardcore gamers have very little sense in the way of financial responsibility. The penny pinching tightwad on the other hand will pick a platform and defend it to the bitter end justifying their purchase, but a hardcore gamer? No. They probably have one of each model.

ChrisMan287

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
NY.
I have an iPad which I play games on from time to time and it just isn't the same as traditional gaming and it never will be.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I don't think the iPad/tablets are threatening consoles, but I think if the proper steps are taken, they could kill off the portable devices (i.e. Nintendo 3DS & PSP/PS Vita). The problem, as stated previously, is the lack of controls. Some developers have done a marvelous job of using what the iPad has to offer and making a great game even in terms of controls, but if they could somehow take the step further to incorporate an optional controller, then we would probably see many more games that are right now just a sketch of an idea.

The problem with a controller is that it would have to be something Apple builds into iOS that all developers can use in their games, that would be the only way we would see it fully supported. The ones that are available now aren't native to iOS and I believe the developers have to code their support into the game which is why many of the games out there do not support them.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
gamecenter limitation of users playing at the same time, and the slow server of multiplayer games in iOS devices are the backwards.

there is no tablet to replace playing Counter Strike GO with friends on steam.

motty2307

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
Indiana
Hardcore gamers seem to have a hatred of the device, and the ios platform.

I think they are scared. The graphics are getting better, the technology is getting better, I personally believe the traditional console will not be around much longer. Look how everybody is concered with getting things smaller and faster. Nobody will want a clunky console that doesn't upgrade or change for 7+ years. I mean it's bad when my phone has better graphics than some xbox 360 games.

Now, yes. ios games still have a long way to go before they can compete with traditional 60 dollar games. But the potential is there.

I consider myself a hardcore gamer and couldn't imagine solely gaming on an iOS device. I've tried playing some FPS games on my iPad/iPhone but the lack of physical buttons quickly has me heading back to my Xbox. Now simpler games, such as Words with Friends, Draw Something, or Angry Birds, are fantastic on iOS devices but wouldn't have nearly the same appeal if they were on the Xbox.

For me, gaming on a traditional system (which don't even really exist anymore; they are media devices that also play games, but that's another conversation) is a much more immersive experience than gaming on an iOS device.

CavemanChuck

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
Personally, I think most games on tablets are pure garbage, tho I certainly have my share of games. And I am a big PC gamer, but I am also getting a mini for Christmas ( LOL, I know, as it is already in my home, but unopened ).

I'm not the least bit "threatened"..... I prefer PC gaming, then my PS3, then my 360, then my PSP, Then my Wii, then my DS xl, and then finally, a tablet.

But I love tablets. I just think they suck for most gaming.

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
I used to be more of a gamer (though not really hardcore since my old ZX Spectrum) but since I got my iPad I pretty much stopped bothering to play games on my PC.

The iPad doesn't compete on FPS games (though I thoroughly enjoy NOVA 3 and Modern Combat 3) but for pretty much everything else the iPad does a great job - as long as the game is well designed. That includes fighters, platformers, shooters, flying games, board games, card games, RTS, turn based strategy, RPG.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.