Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dkj1216

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
I use my personal iphone to access my work email, calendar, contacts through microsoft exchange. My employer allows me to expense a portion of my cell phone bill each month.

Question is, can they see what apps or websites is use? If I decide to look at facebook or surf the web on my iphone, can they tell? I know they can require a password and remote swipe, but can they do anything else? As far as I can tell, I don't think anything was installed. Is there anyway to tell if there was?

Thanks for the help

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
its your phone right? not theirs. if so, they cant see anything. your work stuff will sync to your phone, but thats all they can see....the stuff on their exchange server.

they cant see your personal apps, internet etc

dkj1216

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
If they use a MDM they can. If you access company stuff they can require whatever they want.

Would I know if there was a MDM put on my phone? Would it be in the form of an app or would I not be able to see it?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Would I know if there was a MDM put on my phone? Would it be in the form of an app or would I not be able to see it?

Go to Settings -> General, and scroll down. See if there's anything marked "Profile." If you click on it, you may see something that looks like this:

iphone_enterprise.jpg

If you have something like this, then you have an MDM installed. If not, you don't have an MDM.

Even if there IS an MDM, that doesn't necessarily mean they're looking at everything you do. It all depends on what policies they have running on your phone.

On the other hand, even if there is no MDM, a business CAN still see what you're doing with your iPhone whenever it's on a corporate network (like in-office WiFi or connected through a VPN).

ilivestrong

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
Raleigh, North Carolina
The above is true. The main reason Companies do this is not to control what you view because many times its a personal iPhone used to access Corporate info. They do this in the event your iPhone gets stolen or you quit the company they can wipe your iPhone clean or control access to its internal network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.