Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:15 AM   #1
duelingdragons
macrumors 65816

I cannot delete an app, its stuck trying to update.

Instagram must have tried to auto-update last night.

On my home screen, it shows up with the progress bar, but when I hold my finger down, I cannot delete it.

I've tried resetting my phone and its still happening. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:15 AM   #2
allistera
macrumors regular

Same thing happened to me when I was restoring from iCloud backup - I simply restarted the phone and it started downloading.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:16 AM   #3
duelingdragons
macrumors 65816

Weird. I actually searched for Instagram in the App Store, and it lets me open the app from there, which means that its actually installed on my phone, but the icon is stuck.

Ugh.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:16 AM   #4
Ram27
macrumors member

Go into the App Store and the updates section, there should be an update in progress or some such.
Ram27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by duelingdragons View Post
Instagram must have tried to auto-update last night.

On my home screen, it shows up with the progress bar, but when I hold my finger down, I cannot delete it.

I've tried resetting my phone and its still happening. Any thoughts?
This sometimes happens with earlier versions of iOS. What you need to do is go to the App store, find the app in the store, and 'install it' if you have that option. That worked for me once.

The other option is to turn off cellular data and Wifi and after a while the update times out
Tiger8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:18 AM   #6
duelingdragons
macrumors 65816

Ah. I tried the first thing you suggested, but I'll try the second suggestion. Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:21 AM   #7
GrantMeThePower
macrumors member

I had the same problem and ended up having to restore from a back up.
GrantMeThePower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:24 AM   #8
BvizioN
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
I had the same problem today! You can't remove it untill is fully updated! What I did is, i powered OFF the phone and then back on! App updated and then I was able to remove it.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:26 AM   #9
kerrikins
macrumors 6502a

Try going to the App Store -> Updates -> Purchased. I found that the ones that were "stuck" had little paused signs beside them and when I clicked those or fixed the problem. Easier than searching for each one.
kerrikins is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:45 AM   #10
kenkamm
macrumors member

I've tried each of the suggestions here except for a full restore and nothing has worked so far.
kenkamm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:47 AM   #11
mikeyiphone
macrumors regular

I had a similar issue.

Instead of deleting them on the phone hook it up to iTunes and remove the apps from there. Make sure they are removed from the phone, then resync them from iTunes onto the phone.

It worked for me.

Let me know.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:50 AM   #12
xyion1
macrumors member

This happened to me and was murdering my battery life (like 1% every 3 minutes) so I just plugged it into my iTunes and had the latest apps installed via sync. Now my battery life is just fine and the app is updated. (It was iTransit if it matters...)
xyion1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:46 AM   #13
freejack
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyion1 View Post
This happened to me and was murdering my battery life (like 1% every 3 minutes) so I just plugged it into my iTunes and had the latest apps installed via sync. Now my battery life is just fine and the app is updated. (It was iTransit if it matters...)
The above suggestion works but if you don't have access to itunes, I found the following works also.

Just join a wifi access point and the app will begin downloading within a minute. For some reason apps will become stuck at waiting if you try to update using cellular data. Even enabling updates via cellular does not fix this. Anyway, it happened twice to me and both times, hooking up to wifi fixed it.
freejack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:00 PM   #14
Vertigo50
macrumors 6502a

I agree with others here.

Mine was monumentally stuck, to the point where it was showing a "generic" icon.

I tried everything and finally plugged it into iTunes, when into the app section and removed it from there. Not from the "iPhone screen" in iTunes, but removed it from the actual list. Then I downloaded it fresh, and it worked.
Vertigo50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:32 PM   #15
kenkamm
macrumors member

Connecting to a wifi network worked for me, pretty much. It was still acting strange, but after a restart or two, it resolved.
kenkamm is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7