Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Has anyone here heard of the possibility that Kashi may have used GMO in their cereal? After googling, I just saw bits of information but nothing official. I wonder if this is just some sort of "conspiracy" or real. I'm leaning towards real.

I saw this pop up on my newsfeed on my Facebook:

kashi.jpg

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
So Kashi got caught using ingredients they claimed not to be using? :confused:

I just read a news story about companies getting caught in Canada. The claims made on their nutritional labels (i.e. the % or amount of fat, carbohydrates, proteins, fibre, etc) were wrong, and if the difference between their claims and lab tests were over 20%, they had to change their label. :rolleyes:

Some of them were wrong by almost 1000%.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
So Kashi got caught using ingredients they claimed not to be using? :confused:

I just read a news story about companies getting caught in Canada. The claims made on their nutritional labels (i.e. the % or amount of fat, carbohydrates, proteins, fibre, etc) were wrong, and if the difference between their claims and lab tests were over 20%, they had to change their label. :rolleyes:

Some of them were wrong by almost 1000%.

well, if they claim they don't use it then it's different. they should either change their source and/or the labels. and probably pay some sort of penalty for lying to their costumers.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
loves me some GoLean Crunch!

looked at all the Kashi boxes i have about, and nothing says 'NON-GMO' on the packaging. cereal, hot-cereal, snack bars, crackers are the bits i have around here at the moment.

that said, they seem to be working towards going gmo free, link is HERE if anyone cares.

great food, decent price, kids love it. good enough for me. :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Oh the dramatics. At least they want to move towards not using it. I'm not seeing where they intentionally did wrong.

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
PA
A quick check of Kashi's website tells you all you need to know:

Kashi and the Non-GMO Project

Do you knowingly purchase GMO ingredients?
The foundation of our foods is our unique combination of seven whole grains which are not grown using GMOs. However, factors outside our control, such as pollen drift from nearby crops and current practices in agricultural storage, handling, and shipping, has lead to an environment in North America where GMOs are not sufficiently segregated. As a result, some of our foods may contain GMOs.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
LOL at the hysterics.

GMOs ... never

might as well skip on plant-breeding as well

ignorance must be bliss

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
PA
LOL at the hysterics.

GMOs ... never

might as well skip on plant-breeding as well

ignorance must be bliss

I agree. What most anti-GMO people don't realize is that humans have been genetically modifying crops (and animals) for thousands of years, since the dawn of the Agricultural Revolution. It's just that until recently, we've been doing it in a very slipshod, haphazard, and random way. Only recently we've developed the tools to do it in a more targeted, precise manor, to get the crops we want in 1 generation instead of thousands of generations.

Ever seen "natural" (pre-selective breeding) maize? It doesn't look anything like what you think of when you hear "corn on the cob".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.