Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silofolous

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
So, I'm not really expecting this to actually work, but is anyone aware of any way I can use my 20" Mid-2007 iMac as a secondary monitor for my Mid-2009 MacBook Pro without any wires and for free?

I add for free because I heard something about a program called ScreenRecycler or something like that, which costs money and thus I am not interested.

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Wow, that's a lot to ask for. I highly doubt it. Wireless external moniter technology is still fairly new?

Silofolous

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
Even if you find something, trying to refresh a screen over wireless is going to be very very very slow.

Why? When I use my screen sharing on my MacBook Pro to control my iMac, I do it wirelessly and it is about as fast as doing it on the iMac itself.

MrBenjamin

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Norway
ScreenRecycler

Do any of you guys know if this program will work on Mountain Lion?
I would like to use my Macbook Pro as an external monitor for my Imac.
Any suggestions on how to do this?

Thx

JT3Jon

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2008
Do any of you guys know if this program will work on Mountain Lion?
I would like to use my Macbook Pro as an external monitor for my Imac.
Any suggestions on how to do this?

Thx

Yeah it works, you just have to download the beta version which does work in demo mode: http://www.screenrecycler.com/download.html

I'm actually wondering if Air Display works as well, as its $10 cheaper and works both through wi-fi and ethernet, and works from mac to mac and/or mac to ios devices. http://avatron.com/apps/air-display But Screenrecycler, thanks to its demo, proved to me the concept works GREAT as mac to mac via ethernet! Might just pay the extra $10 as a thank you for having a demo!

btw, if you do go Screenrecycler, you do NOT need to also buy JollyFastVNC as mac OSX screen sharing works fine with ScreenRecycler.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.