Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:53 PM   #176
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mib1800 View Post
Don't forget there are hundreds of app stores for android and you can sideload apps as well. In places like China very few download from Google play.

So actual download quantum is much much higher than ios.
As been said before, "downloads" means little in terms of boasting an app store's success. Me and a few friends could, in theory, spend hundreds of hours downloading every "free" app on Apple's App Store if we simply wanted to inflate Apple's download numbers. Since they are all free, it costs us nothing (except wasted time). Downloads is an idiotic measurement.

The sales revenue (let's say in millions of dollars) of a given app/online store is a much better metric, and one that is more relevant to a platform's financial monetization success.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2013, 12:09 AM   #177
mib1800
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
As been said before, "downloads" means little in terms of boasting an app store's success. Me and a few friends could, in theory, spend hundreds of hours downloading every "free" app on Apple's App Store if we simply wanted to inflate Apple's download numbers. Since they are all free, it costs us nothing (except wasted time). Downloads is an idiotic measurement.

The sales revenue (let's say in millions of dollars) of a given app/online store is a much better metric, and one that is more relevant to a platform's financial monetization success.
But sales revenue means nothing to usage or popularity. There are many free apps on android which you have to pay in apple app store. Also android apps use ad as revenue much more than ios.

We have only seen revenue comparison for Google play and apple app store. What about the hundreds of other Android app stores revenue which did not get tallied.
mib1800 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2013, 12:29 AM   #178
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
But sales revenue means nothing to usage or popularity.
It might mean nothing to usage or popularity, but sales revenue means a lot to the developers (do you think they make apps just to be charitable?), as well as the app stores themselves (Apple App Store, Google Play, Amazon App Store, etc).

Quote:
Also android apps use ad as revenue much more than ios.
OK, I will concede on this point. You are correct that Android (and Google in particular) is very dependent on ad revenue, hence even the "free app" downloads could eventually translate into ad-based revenue. But it's no use debating this now, unless there is some really good research study on how much these ad-based free apps translate into advertising dollars.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2013, 04:09 AM   #179
mib1800
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
It might mean nothing to usage or popularity, but sales revenue means a lot to the developers (do you think they make apps just to be charitable?), as well as the app stores themselves (Apple App Store, Google Play, Amazon App Store, etc).
You are right in saying that developers are likely to make more money in app store.

One consolation for android that most apps in app store will make it to android sooner or later. And maybe at a cheaper price or free. In other words the apple users are partly subsiding the price of android apps that Android users pay. Have you ever thought of that?

Quote:
OK, I will concede on this point. You are correct that Android (and Google in particular) is very dependent on ad revenue, hence even the "free app" downloads could eventually translate into ad-based revenue. But it's no use debating this now, unless there is some really good research study on how much these ad-based free apps translate into advertising dollars.
Like you say google is about ad. And it makes lots of money this way.
mib1800 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2013, 04:13 AM   #180
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Don't forget there are hundreds of app stores for android and you can sideload apps as well. In places like China very few download from Google play.

So actual download quantum is much much higher than ios.
On fact there is no Google Play Store on China
Old Aug 3, 2013, 06:30 AM   #181
pirg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleisking View Post
Not surprising. There has been a huge exodus to android over the last few years. An increasing user-base attracts more devs, thus more apps.
Exodus eh? Please provide your source.
pirg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2013, 09:53 AM   #182
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirg View Post
Exodus eh? Please provide your source.
Read through the thread before making a comment and then you won't make needless posts like that. I clarified my point later on.
appleisking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2013, 12:14 PM   #183
otismotive77
macrumors 6502

big deal! android community is way bigger than apple's this was inevitable, i'm just surprised that it took them so much time to beat apple.
otismotive77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2013, 12:37 PM   #184
blitzer09x87
macrumors 6502

quantity never matters, it the quality that matters. nuff said
blitzer09x87 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2013, 03:04 PM   #185
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisdallas View Post
Angry Birds for example, is only able to be played with ads. I couldn't find an ad free version as with iOS. I don't really care about angry birds, but as for my cousin who absolutely loves the game, those ads are terrible. Do you know how many times he accidentally tapped the ad and got completely lost on what he was doing?
Then tell him to get the new Angry Birds. Both available AD free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sspace.premium

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hd.premium.iap

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rybirdsspaceHD

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by otismotive77 View Post
big deal! android community is way bigger than apple's this was inevitable, i'm just surprised that it took them so much time to beat apple.
I'm not. Apple had a considerable head start.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 02:45 PM   #186
theelysium
macrumors 6502

It is pointless to argue and depart these number, because they are liquid and will change again.
theelysium is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:15 AM   #187
Sensamic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
That's still very impressive, being that Apple has more market share than Google. Props to you Play Store.
Are you crazy?

Android has 80% of market share. Apple only 13.

Wake up.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion