Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Website is live. - Page 3 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:03 AM   #51
edk99
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
You'll get no argument from me that the launch was not close to ready for prime time.
Thanks. No need for the rest of the babble as it has nothing to do with spending $600+ million on a web site that performs like it was done by a bunch of interns on summer break.
edk99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:05 AM   #52
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk99 View Post
Thanks. No need for the rest of the babble as it has nothing to do with spending $600+ million on a web site that performs like it was done by a bunch of interns on summer break.

Yes, we're aware that you think facts are babble. Thanks for the confirmation though.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:18 PM   #53
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Unfortunately making websites work for a large number of users is hard.
Eraserhead is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:28 PM   #54
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
Unfortunately making websites work for a large number of users is hard.

I'm no developer but have overseen Commerce businesses and I think they blew it by forcing everyone to register in order to shop. To verify your profile, they have to connect to several different state and federal systems which we all know is hard. My understanding is they did this so those eligible for subsidies would see it when viewing rates.

If you could have given them your name, email, zip code and answer a few questions, they could have shown you rates and let you shop and only register when you're ready to buy. A much more customer friendly way not to mention taking huge loads off the registration system.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 03:40 PM   #55
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm no developer but have overseen Commerce businesses and I think they blew it by forcing everyone to register in order to shop. To verify your profile, they have to connect to several different state and federal systems which we all know is hard. My understanding is they did this so those eligible for subsidies would see it when viewing rates.
Clearly there is more to the problem than the capacity of the website itself. A lot of people were able to register, but, couldn't get to the point where they got their cost and were able to successfully place their order.

And, I think you have identified the probable bottlenecks -- the communication with the other federal and state servers that have to be accessed to proceed with the final cost.

Quote:
If you could have given them your name, email, zip code and answer a few questions, they could have shown you rates and let you shop and only register when you're ready to buy. A much more customer friendly way not to mention taking huge loads off the registration system.
I'm not sure how they could have verified the subsidy without accessing the other resources.

In any case, there is a poll out now here. While the article is a bit negative, I'm seeing the glass as half full:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...bed_story.html

Using very round numbers as estimates from the article, of roughly 50 million uninsured, roughly 20 million have looked at the system. Of those, roughly 2 million have already signed up. (Note that these are very rough estimates extrapolated from the polls.) Actually, that is pretty good for the first 1-1/2 weeks of the process and gives hope that most people who want to should be able to sign up in the next two months. That would take a big slice out of the currently ininsured.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:17 AM   #56
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Meanwhile we have companies in the private sector creating entirely online MMO video games that are about 100x more complex for budgets about 1/6th of that.

Oh government.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:47 AM   #57
ElectronGuru
macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that doesn't even sound possible. Like seeing a $500 restaurant tab, you know someone ordered more than just food. 600M is enough for an entire data center, including the halon. Maybe this is a general number that includes more than just the servers themselves?
Old Oct 11, 2013, 01:50 AM   #58
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
Yeah, that doesn't even sound possible. Like seeing a $500 restaurant tab, you know someone ordered more than just food. 600M is enough for an entire data center, including the halon. Maybe this is a general number that includes more than just the servers themselves?
I presume it includes all the development costs.
Eraserhead is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 08:37 AM   #59
edk99
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I can't wait till we find out this was outsourced to india. I'm just laughing thinking about it.

I guess they have revised that estimate down to $500 million. Whew that is a relief. So now we have paid 5x the initially estimated $93 million instead of 6.5x. I feel better now.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 08:50 AM   #60
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
I can't wait till we find out this was outsourced to india. I'm just laughing thinking about it.

I guess they have revised that estimate down to $500 million. Whew that is a relief. So now we have paid 5x the initially estimated $93 million instead of 6.5x. I feel better now.
IBM need their cut . I'm sure the lack of states rolling their own can't have helped either to be fair.
Eraserhead is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 08:50 AM   #61
ElectronGuru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yes, but that's my point. 500M would be $100k salaries for over 2000 programmers for two years. For a website database? For this number not to be mostly bonuses for some boss, this has to include more than just hardware + software. Even from scratch, the number is just to big not to include other aspects of the program.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 09:22 AM   #62
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Gee Wally, I just read that it didn't cost $600+ million to develop the program. Gosh, where do these things come from?

Source is…wait for it…Glenn Beck

Quote:
But an official at CGI told TheBlaze those saying the federal heath insurance exchange cost $634 million are incorrect. The official said this figure includes all of the company’s contracts for a Health and Human Services Department program over the last seven years, covering 114 transactions. The cost of building healthcare.gov was issued under this contract.

The official noted CGI was awarded the contract to build the website through a competitive procurement process.

Even though the site didn’t cost upwards of $600 million to build, many are still questioning why — with the $93.7 million tag — it still wasn’t up to snuff.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:01 AM   #63
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

I don't know if $94M is a lot for this, or, not. In order to compute/verify the income/subsidy information, it is going to be touching the personal financial data of tens of millions of people. That isn't easy to do securely and makes it much more than a high-volume "website" that any one of us could throw together.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:14 AM   #64
ElectronGuru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
That isn't easy to do securely and makes it much more than a high-volume "website" that any one of us could throw together.
That's what I find so interesting about this thread. Usually the subject is esoteric and the numbers almost imaginary. But this is a forum full of computer guys/gals. We are not only familiar with the subject but I would bet many of us have the skills to actually do the work.

94M is at least more in the ballpark, if still unable to explain the performance shortfalls.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:15 AM   #65
elistan
macrumors 6502a

The $634 million comes from here [usaspending.gov] and it's the total amount of money awarded to a contractor called CGI Federal for an IDV PIID (Indefinite Delivery Vehicle Procurement Instrument ID) HHSM500200700015I that includes 128 individual contracts.

HHSM500200700015I includes things like:
Code:
HHSM500200700015I	CGI FEDERAL INCORPORATED	12601 FAIR LAKES CIRCLE, FAIRFAX, VA 	MEDICARE ADVANTAGE AND PART D SYSTEM MAINTENANCE	 $30,695,394.68 	541512	31-Jul-2014	DIANNE  RUSSUM	DIANNE.RUSSUM@CMS.HHS.GOV
Some of the contracts were awarded in just the past month or two, and the way these things happen the money probably hasn't been actually spent yet.

I was once peripherally involved in a bank's project to overhaul their credit card system. It cost $300 million and spanned several years. (It was a success, for what its worth.) $600 million for a project like this doesn't seem out of line to me. Certainly $93 million isn't out of the ordinary. Imagine having to start up NYSE or NASDAQ from scratch...
elistan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:25 AM   #66
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Two weeks later and I still have yet to be able to log on. I get an error every time. Not even "too busy" notices any more. Just "error". I was able to register on the first day, but never log in.

Maybe I'll set up a new account, since the account I registered can't even do a password reset because it claims it can't find my account, yet says my username already exists.

EDIT: Had to create a new account because apparently the first one I created just didn't work in the system. I could get Platinum coverage for a little less than I'm paying now for my union group plan, but it has a higher deductible and out-of-pocket maximums. So, it seems to be about even for my family in that regard. I could go as low as $230 a month for the lower-level basic plans. I will admit that I have done no research yet about these plans and what all they cover to see which is best. I just wanted to see what came up.

Last edited by samiwas; Oct 13, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
samiwas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 01:30 PM   #67
Josh125
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'm no developer but have overseen Commerce businesses and I think they blew it by forcing everyone to register in order to shop.
This article agrees with you. I'm not sure I buy what they are selling on their reasons, but the bottleneck seems clear to those in the industry (which I am not).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapoth...rtner=yahootix
Old Oct 21, 2013, 04:14 PM   #68
edk99
macrumors 6502a

This is to funny. If you cant get though on the web site call the help line 1-800-318-2596 (1-800-F1UCKYO)

Quote:
At the top of his radio program today, Sean Hannity called in to an Obamacare call center. Hannity was able to get through to an operator after only several moments of waiting. He spoke to the operator for nearly 10 minutes about Obamacare, what her thoughts of it are and what kind of response she has received so far. The operator was very friendly and had no problem answering all of Hannity's questions.

HANNITY: They're really telling you to tell us to check back in on the website in off-hours. Does that mean that I should go on at like three in the morning?

OPERATOR: It was saying early in the morning and late at night, but some people say they do that and still can't get in.

HANNITY: So people are reporting to you the real deal?

OPERATOR: Yes sir, they are.

HANNITY: Have you ever got anybody that really likes it yet?

OPERATOR: Umm, no, not really.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...it_so_far.html
Old Oct 21, 2013, 04:18 PM   #69
ChrisWB
macrumors 6502

I posted this in a related thread, but it's more relevant to this thread. Obama held a press conference today where he admitted that the healthcare.gov website "stank".
ChrisWB is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues