Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:35 AM   #1
blinkie
macrumors regular

Will POP on my Mac and IMAP on iphone cause problems?

Hi,
I like to keep local copies of my emails on my mac so I use POP to access my gmail. But I don't need to be storing them on my phone as well. I'm currently using POP on my phone but I'm wondering if I change that to IMAP will it cause any adverse conflicts or problem having the same gmail account accessed by both POP and IMAP.
Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions.
B
blinkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:39 AM   #2
mfram
macrumors 6502a

If you use IMAP on your Mac, your mail will be cached locally so you might as well use IMAP on both. The nice thing about using IMAP on both is that the same mail state will be saved across both devices. For example, when you read your mail on one device, it will show up as read on the other device.
mfram is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:47 AM   #3
blinkie
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfram View Post
If you use IMAP on your Mac, your mail will be cached locally so you might as well use IMAP on both. The nice thing about using IMAP on both is that the same mail state will be saved across both devices. For example, when you read your mail on one device, it will show up as read on the other device.
Thanks mfram. I'm wary of changing my mac mail to IMAP. I really do need to keep copies of my emails on that machine. Copies I can rely on. How much mail history would be cached locally on my mac? Because I need it all.
blinkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help