Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:20 AM   #1
Cjshino
macrumors member

Going back to Windows is better for me?

First off i love my 11' MBA 2012. I love the OSX, trackpad and other goodies it has but i want the use of some windows programs. I know i can use bootcamp but i only have a 64gb model so space will be a big issue and I really dont wanna pay to get windows 7. What do you think I should do? I really dont wanna return my MBA but If I do I will get an ultrabook instead. Im not trolling or anything I just want some honest answers.

Also this is the laptop i would get instead although I prefer Backlit instead of the touchscreen.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...1#tab=overview
Cjshino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:25 AM   #2
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjshino View Post
First off i love my 11' MBA 2012. I love the OSX, trackpad and other goodies it has but i want the use of some windows programs. I know i can use bootcamp but i only have a 64gb model so space will be a big issue and I really dont wanna pay to get windows 7. What do you think I should do? I really dont wanna return my MBA but If I do I will get an ultrabook instead. Im not trolling or anything I just want some honest answers.

Also this is the laptop i would get instead although I prefer Backlit instead of the touchscreen.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...1#tab=overview
Only you know what you are more productive in. If you are more productive in Windows (many users are) then you should get a Windows laptop.
monkeybagel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Sounds definitely u should go back to Windows.

The Sammy... 5.5 LB (ouch!), 13" (vs MBA 11"), Battery life unknown, backlit kbd? (download manual from Samsung and confirm), and can u get it with Win7? 'coz looks like it comes with Win8 which lots of ppl find annoying.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:13 PM   #4
JoeRito
macrumors 6502

An utrabook may indeed be what you need, but I recommend finding one with Windows 7 if you must go back.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:30 PM   #5
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502

Your SSD is way too small for how you want to use your machine. Upgrade and you will be fine. Of course you have to buy the OS, did you believe Microsoft would give their software to you for free?

You may also wish to consider using Parallels to load MS Windows and related software rather than BootCamp which allows you no flexibility and does not allow you to run Windows and OS X software simultaneously as does Parallels.

When I first "Macized" myself I thought that I needed MS software. I really didn't as pretty much everything I use is available in an OS X version.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:57 PM   #6
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502a

I agree with other responses, if Windows works for you have at it.
you can always upgrade to a MBP and run Windows.
I have recently converted to OSX and I can positively say i will never go back to PC.
JohnLT13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:06 PM   #7
sostoobad
macrumors regular

850.00 for a pc ??? not for me, it will be worthless in no time, and you get to ward off all those viruses, thats if you can...

If you really need more horsepower, go for a used MBPro or a stuffed Air.

I have been on the Mac system for about a yr and a half, never even thinking of going back to a pc.
sostoobad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:23 PM   #8
kage207
macrumors 6502a

Have you looked for alternatives in software at all? If so, then yes the solution might be to go back but also, why not sell your MBA and get either a new one or a different Mac with a larger HDD or SSD so you can have both? Or why not have one computer for Windows and one for Mac? I have an MBA and a desktop computer I built with Windows 7 on it. I use that if I have to have Windows for programs for whatever I'm doing.

There are also environments you can either rent or look into Microsofts cloud to get the services you need to access the software you need.

The real question is what is the software you "need"?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:51 PM   #9
JoelBC
macrumors 6502

I am a 20+ year Windows user who recently switched to OS X more out of curiosity than anything else...

I can say that there are some things that OS X does better than Windows while there are some things that Windows does better than OS X...

I see it as having the "right tool for the job"...I think that for former Windows such as us it is necessary to run Windows [I use Parallels with no issues] on the same machine as maintained two machines is a PITA...

Perhaps with time I will no longer have a need for Windows though this is unlikely given I run a lot of financial packages that are only available in Windows...

That said, I will keep running a Mac because for things it does better I prefer it...

With that, get a Mac with a bigger hard drive...

Joel

----------

Ooops, one more thing, you could also get a NiftyDrive for your MBA which would add another 64 GB of hard disk space...this should be enough to work with...
JoelBC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:58 PM   #10
Weerez935
macrumors regular

What programs are they?
Word, excel, and PowerPoint

You might be better off with pages, numbers and keynote. I prefer them after using them, they take up less space and are much cheaper.
Weerez935 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air