Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:34 PM   #1
a-m-k
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Hotmail now works in a 2013 MBP...

I always had to use my family's PC when checking my hotmail. I got so tired of it, I switched to a yahoo account. I have to keep my hotmail account for payment reasons because that is the e-mail address associated with the card. Did something change either with hotmail or the mac systems?

I'm just wondering, it's strange that all of the sudden it now works.
a-m-k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:52 PM   #2
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000
 
MisterKeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by a-m-k View Post
I always had to use my family's PC when checking my hotmail. I got so tired of it, I switched to a yahoo account. I have to keep my hotmail account for payment reasons because that is the e-mail address associated with the card. Did something change either with hotmail or the mac systems?

I'm just wondering, it's strange that all of the sudden it now works.
What do you mean? I'm not a hotmail user, but I haven't heard anything not working with it.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:58 PM   #3
Spink10
macrumors 68020
 
Spink10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by a-m-k View Post
I always had to use my family's PC when checking my hotmail. I got so tired of it, I switched to a yahoo account. I have to keep my hotmail account for payment reasons because that is the e-mail address associated with the card. Did something change either with hotmail or the mac systems?

I'm just wondering, it's strange that all of the sudden it now works.
always worked for me
Spink10 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:05 AM   #4
SDAVE
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nowhere
OP, this isn't 2003
__________________
iPhone 5, MacBook Pro (2011), Mac Pro 2008, Apple Cinema Display 30" Aluminium
SDAVE is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:42 AM   #5
trikky
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by a-m-k View Post
I always had to use my family's PC when checking my hotmail. I got so tired of it, I switched to a yahoo account. I have to keep my hotmail account for payment reasons because that is the e-mail address associated with the card. Did something change either with hotmail or the mac systems?

I'm just wondering, it's strange that all of the sudden it now works.
Assuming your access to hotmail was through something other than their website, I'm thinking you've finally figured out how to set it up. Yay!
__________________
--
I'm riding in memory of Alan, who was 5 years old. Please make a donation toward research into childhood cancers.
Thanks for your support as I take part in the Ride to Conquer Cancer
trikky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:32 AM   #6
a-m-k
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAVE View Post
OP, this isn't 2003
a-m-k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:41 AM   #7
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a
 
A Hebrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
Hotmail also works on the 2012, 2011, 2010, and 2009 MBP too.
__________________
2012 13" MacBook Air | 2012 27" iMac | iPad 3 | iPhone 5
A Hebrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:07 PM   #8
snaky69
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by a-m-k View Post
I always had to use my family's PC when checking my hotmail. I got so tired of it, I switched to a yahoo account. I have to keep my hotmail account for payment reasons because that is the e-mail address associated with the card. Did something change either with hotmail or the mac systems?

I'm just wondering, it's strange that all of the sudden it now works.
Hotmail has always worked on a Mac?

I've been able to setup a hotmail account on apple Mail on an old mac running OS X 10.4 which came out in 2005.

I blame user error.
__________________
Early 2008 MBP 2.4Ghz Penryn, 4GB RAM, WD Scorpio Black
2012 MBP 2.6Ghz Ivy Bridge, 16GB RAM, 840EVO and 750GB Opti-bay
iPhone 3G, 16GB, Black
iPhone 4S, 32GB, Black
snaky69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:46 PM   #9
a-m-k
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaky69 View Post
Hotmail has always worked on a Mac?

I've been able to setup a hotmail account on apple Mail on an old mac running OS X 10.4 which came out in 2005.

I blame user error.
I've had the account since 1998.... I used to have to go to the library in my town who have apple towers. It always worked fine from there.
a-m-k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:01 AM   #10
Mopar
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
The problem isn't your Mac, or even the OS, it's the browser. I've been using Hotmail since 1997 and it has worked on every single Mac I've owned since then. However, the performance has varied depending on the browser. Worked best with IE (naturally), then usually Safari (bit hit-and-miss depending on the release), then Opera, Chrome and finally Mozilla/Firefox. Earlier versions of Mozilla/Firefox seemed to work better than later versions (mid-2000s). These days, Safari tends to work best, but I still access Hotmail on Firefox every day as I prefer the GUI. It's a shame Firefox is so buggy these days, as I think it has the best layout and features. I've never really warmed to Safari, even after all this time.
Mopar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:44 PM   #11
a-m-k
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar View Post
The problem isn't your Mac, or even the OS, it's the browser. I've been using Hotmail since 1997 and it has worked on every single Mac I've owned since then. However, the performance has varied depending on the browser. Worked best with IE (naturally), then usually Safari (bit hit-and-miss depending on the release), then Opera, Chrome and finally Mozilla/Firefox. Earlier versions of Mozilla/Firefox seemed to work better than later versions (mid-2000s). These days, Safari tends to work best, but I still access Hotmail on Firefox every day as I prefer the GUI. It's a shame Firefox is so buggy these days, as I think it has the best layout and features. I've never really warmed to Safari, even after all this time.
I had trouble when using my '09 MBP using both safari and sea lion.(To check my hotmail account, though, I will update with sea lion when it's necessary. (I maintain a website and sea lion has an html editor.)
a-m-k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:29 AM   #12
Mopar
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Yes, I'm sure Microsoft tried to make Hotmail as painful as possible for those not using IE at one stage to try to get them to use it, but I think they've all but given up these days. They don't even make IE for Macs anymore.
Mopar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:31 AM   #13
yusukeaoki
macrumors 68030
 
yusukeaoki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tokyo, Japan
I think hotmail has been working for YEARS on MBPs.
__________________
17" MacBook Pro (Early 2011), 2.2GHz i7-2720QM, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD+1TB HDD@5400rpm
11" MacBook Air (Mid 2013), 1.7GHz i7-4650U, 8GB RAM, 512GB Flash
HTC J One (White) 32GB
yusukeaoki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:20 PM   #14
gmikesell
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
When you say "hotmail works..." I'm assuming you are referring to pop3? I would LOVE it if there were a hotmail solution for Exchange Active Sync. I'm not sure that IMAP works anymore even. I hate having all my hotmail folders stuck in the web client and I have to log in there to do any email sorting. In the meantime, the local email client works ok for me if for no other reason than to notify me of new mail.
gmikesell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:35 PM   #15
a-m-k
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmikesell View Post
When you say "hotmail works..." I'm assuming you are referring to pop3? I would LOVE it if there were a hotmail solution for Exchange Active Sync. I'm not sure that IMAP works anymore even. I hate having all my hotmail folders stuck in the web client and I have to log in there to do any email sorting. In the meantime, the local email client works ok for me if for no other reason than to notify me of new mail.
I actually don't know if I am using the POP3 or not? All I know is that it seemed to be working. In fact, I just checked it, and things are different. So maybe there were changes and they prevented me from logging on for however long it took to switch things around.
a-m-k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:03 AM   #16
cookiesnfooty
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Harrogate
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmikesell View Post
When you say "hotmail works..." I'm assuming you are referring to pop3? I would LOVE it if there were a hotmail solution for Exchange Active Sync. I'm not sure that IMAP works anymore even. I hate having all my hotmail folders stuck in the web client and I have to log in there to do any email sorting. In the meantime, the local email client works ok for me if for no other reason than to notify me of new mail.
There is you can use m.hotmail.com which is the domain for hotmail exchange.

To the OP Hotmail always worked I think this was just a browser compatibility issue.
__________________
Iphone 5s 64GB Silver, Macbook pro 2011 16GB RAM & 1.02TB SSD RAID.
Apple OS X 10.9.3 & Windows 8.1 Virtual Machine

"I miss you Steve"....
cookiesnfooty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:55 PM   #17
a-m-k
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesnfooty View Post
There is you can use m.hotmail.com which is the domain for hotmail exchange.

To the OP Hotmail always worked I think this was just a browser compatibility issue.
Maybe there was a glitch with Leopard.
a-m-k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 01:22 PM   #18
Ashdude
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Arkansas
I'm a Hotmail user too and I'm always looking for a way to sync Hotmail on OSX. Microsoft claims to be working on a Mac solution, but that fix will probably be limited to their Office suite. It's a shame because it works perfectly with my iPhone & iPad. Better than either Gmail or Yahoo.
Ashdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 05:43 PM   #19
a-m-k
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashdude View Post
I'm a Hotmail user too and I'm always looking for a way to sync Hotmail on OSX. Microsoft claims to be working on a Mac solution, but that fix will probably be limited to their Office suite. It's a shame because it works perfectly with my iPhone & iPad. Better than either Gmail or Yahoo.
Is it not working for you now... I'm on a Mid-2012 MBP.
a-m-k is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MBA mid 2013 snappier then MBP late 2013 vigorito MacBook Pro 6 May 20, 2014 03:41 AM
MBP 15 Late 2013 or Early 2013? topmaverick MacBook Pro 1 Apr 6, 2014 06:01 AM
Heat - 2010 MBP vs. 2013 MBA vs. 2013 rMBP chorion MacBook Pro 8 Feb 24, 2014 06:12 AM
Is there an email client that works with Hotmail/Outlook now? Turbocharged MacBook Pro 10 Jan 20, 2014 09:08 PM
2013 MBA or wait for 2013 base MBP? technowar Buying Tips and Advice 14 Jun 16, 2013 08:47 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC