Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:34 PM   #1
a-m-k
macrumors 6502

Hotmail now works in a 2013 MBP...

I always had to use my family's PC when checking my hotmail. I got so tired of it, I switched to a yahoo account. I have to keep my hotmail account for payment reasons because that is the e-mail address associated with the card. Did something change either with hotmail or the mac systems?

I'm just wondering, it's strange that all of the sudden it now works.
a-m-k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:52 PM   #2
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-m-k View Post
I always had to use my family's PC when checking my hotmail. I got so tired of it, I switched to a yahoo account. I have to keep my hotmail account for payment reasons because that is the e-mail address associated with the card. Did something change either with hotmail or the mac systems?

What do you mean? I'm not a hotmail user, but I haven't heard anything not working with it.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:58 PM   #3
Spink10
macrumors 68020

Quote:

always worked for me
Spink10 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:05 AM   #4
SDAVE
macrumors 68020

OP, this isn't 2003
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:42 AM   #5
trikky
macrumors regular

Quote:

Assuming your access to hotmail was through something other than their website, I'm thinking you've finally figured out how to set it up. Yay!
trikky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:32 AM   #6
a-m-k
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAVE View Post
OP, this isn't 2003
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:41 AM   #7
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

Hotmail also works on the 2012, 2011, 2010, and 2009 MBP too.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:07 PM   #8
snaky69
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Hotmail has always worked on a Mac?

I've been able to setup a hotmail account on apple Mail on an old mac running OS X 10.4 which came out in 2005.

I blame user error.
iPhone 4S, 32GB, Black
snaky69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:46 PM   #9
a-m-k
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaky69 View Post
Hotmail has always worked on a Mac?

I've been able to setup a hotmail account on apple Mail on an old mac running OS X 10.4 which came out in 2005.

I blame user error.
I've had the account since 1998.... I used to have to go to the library in my town who have apple towers. It always worked fine from there.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:01 AM   #10
Mopar
macrumors member

The problem isn't your Mac, or even the OS, it's the browser. I've been using Hotmail since 1997 and it has worked on every single Mac I've owned since then. However, the performance has varied depending on the browser. Worked best with IE (naturally), then usually Safari (bit hit-and-miss depending on the release), then Opera, Chrome and finally Mozilla/Firefox. Earlier versions of Mozilla/Firefox seemed to work better than later versions (mid-2000s). These days, Safari tends to work best, but I still access Hotmail on Firefox every day as I prefer the GUI. It's a shame Firefox is so buggy these days, as I think it has the best layout and features. I've never really warmed to Safari, even after all this time.
Mopar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:44 PM   #11
a-m-k
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar View Post
The problem isn't your Mac, or even the OS, it's the browser. I've been using Hotmail since 1997 and it has worked on every single Mac I've owned since then. However, the performance has varied depending on the browser. Worked best with IE (naturally), then usually Safari (bit hit-and-miss depending on the release), then Opera, Chrome and finally Mozilla/Firefox. Earlier versions of Mozilla/Firefox seemed to work better than later versions (mid-2000s). These days, Safari tends to work best, but I still access Hotmail on Firefox every day as I prefer the GUI. It's a shame Firefox is so buggy these days, as I think it has the best layout and features. I've never really warmed to Safari, even after all this time.
I had trouble when using my '09 MBP using both safari and sea lion.(To check my hotmail account, though, I will update with sea lion when it's necessary. (I maintain a website and sea lion has an html editor.)
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:29 AM   #12
Mopar
macrumors member

Yes, I'm sure Microsoft tried to make Hotmail as painful as possible for those not using IE at one stage to try to get them to use it, but I think they've all but given up these days. They don't even make IE for Macs anymore.
Mopar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:31 AM   #13
yusukeaoki
macrumors 68030

I think hotmail has been working for YEARS on MBPs.
yusukeaoki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:20 PM   #14
gmikesell
macrumors regular

When you say "hotmail works..." I'm assuming you are referring to pop3? I would LOVE it if there were a hotmail solution for Exchange Active Sync. I'm not sure that IMAP works anymore even. I hate having all my hotmail folders stuck in the web client and I have to log in there to do any email sorting. In the meantime, the local email client works ok for me if for no other reason than to notify me of new mail.
gmikesell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:35 PM   #15
a-m-k
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmikesell View Post
When you say "hotmail works..." I'm assuming you are referring to pop3? I would LOVE it if there were a hotmail solution for Exchange Active Sync. I'm not sure that IMAP works anymore even. I hate having all my hotmail folders stuck in the web client and I have to log in there to do any email sorting. In the meantime, the local email client works ok for me if for no other reason than to notify me of new mail.
I actually don't know if I am using the POP3 or not? All I know is that it seemed to be working. In fact, I just checked it, and things are different. So maybe there were changes and they prevented me from logging on for however long it took to switch things around.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:03 AM   #16
cookiesnfooty
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmikesell View Post
There is you can use m.hotmail.com which is the domain for hotmail exchange.

To the OP Hotmail always worked I think this was just a browser compatibility issue.

"I miss you Steve"....
cookiesnfooty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:55 PM   #17
a-m-k
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesnfooty View Post
There is you can use m.hotmail.com which is the domain for hotmail exchange.

To the OP Hotmail always worked I think this was just a browser compatibility issue.
Maybe there was a glitch with Leopard.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 01:22 PM   #18
Ashdude
macrumors newbie

I'm a Hotmail user too and I'm always looking for a way to sync Hotmail on OSX. Microsoft claims to be working on a Mac solution, but that fix will probably be limited to their Office suite. It's a shame because it works perfectly with my iPhone & iPad. Better than either Gmail or Yahoo.
Ashdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 05:43 PM   #19
a-m-k
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashdude View Post
I'm a Hotmail user too and I'm always looking for a way to sync Hotmail on OSX. Microsoft claims to be working on a Mac solution, but that fix will probably be limited to their Office suite. It's a shame because it works perfectly with my iPhone & iPad. Better than either Gmail or Yahoo.
Is it not working for you now... I'm on a Mid-2012 MBP.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro