Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ad1815

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
When I move my fingers on the aluminium shell, I feel that my finger "jumps" on it. I only feel it when the Mac is connected to a power supply; I don't feel it when the computer is disconnected from the power supply.

Anyone has the same feeling? Anyone knows why?

allegrocm

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2005
Ames, IA
I've noticed the same thing. The computer is electrically grounded through the shell, so I would image a little bit of electricity is leaking out through your finger. I've tried to show it to other people but they never seem to be able to feel it. I imagine it might go away if you used a grounded power plug, like the extension cable that came with the power supply. Never tried though.

Ken

jqc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
I feel this on my 2010 MBA as well as when my iPhone 5 is charging (the back aluminum part)

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Noticed this too on my 2007 MacBook Pro. Doesn't happen all the time. Maybe it happens when the outlet I'm plugged into is badly grounded. Could also have to do with the way the MagSafe connector is seated. One time I felt the tingling and then when I reached over to disconnect the MagSafe connector and re-connect it, I got a painful shock when I touched it. Looks like it may have been seated incorrectly.

teffers

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2013
United Kingdom
I've read a previous thread that mentioned this issue is sometimes corrected when using the longer lead with the MagSafe power adapter due to the grounding :confused:

viespace

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2013
This is because the power adapter you are using does not have grounding . Change it with a connector that has 3 "pins" will solve the problem.

Mikael

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2005
Gothenburg, Sweden
I've read a previous thread that mentioned this issue is sometimes corrected when using the longer lead with the MagSafe power adapter due to the grounding :confused:
It doesn't just fix it sometimes, it always fixes it. The longer lead has ground pins, which the other plug doesn't. As long as the wall socket is actually grounded, it will make the issue disappear. For this reason, I always use the long lead.

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
I've noticed that when my MBA is charging and I plug in my powered external hard rive the metal end of the USB sparks on the aluminium

----------

This is because the power adapter you are using does not have grounding . Change it with a connector that has 3 "pins" will solve the problem.

How about in the UK? All of our plugs have 3 pins!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.