Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
I like my current setup, but I think it is a bit overkill for my needs. I have a 2010 Mac Pro Quad which I turn on about 5 times a week. It is my main machine but I never do anything extreme on it. I mainly got it for the 4 HD bays. I also have a 2012 11" Air which I rarely use. It never leaves my desk since I also have my iPad mini and iPhone 5. I might open it up once a week if that, and again it's just for internet browsing. I have been thinking about selling both computers and getting a new Macbook Pro (when the new Haswell MBPs launch). I think having one machine and just my iPad might be more practical. I would probably use the MBP in closed clamshell mode at my desk 99% of the time. But I like having the portability option if I need it. Is there a way to keep my existing HD's from my Mac Pro and connect them to a MBP? Anyone else do this sort of thing with downsizing from two macs to one? Also, I do like running dual monitors with my Mac Pro. Is there a way to connect 2 non-apple displays to a MBP in closed clamshell? Thanks for any advice and info.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Hi sell both but leave programs that cost money, plus your itunes music/movies/books as an extra value added. That is what I do and always gett good money. Add Office for an extra kick.

You should be able to get at least $800 for the Air if it's a 2011.

I don't know about the Mac Pro but I did sell my dads baseline mid 2010 iMac for $650. Then again I live in Boston and tons of people use Craiglist. My parents live in CT and Craiglist sucks here. You can use Ebay or Amazon but they take a huge profit from you and always take the buyers side. Which a annoying customer can be like O I later found a 2012 macbook air for $850 so I no longer want yours.

As what to buy just get an iMac. My dad has a iMac and uses it for work stuff but when he just wants to check a quick email/news/a espn score the iPad works fine. Think the macbook pro is over kill especially if you have the air. The air and the iPad to me feel similar. Or just get a air & a external HD. Save a ton of money.

The main thing is what do you need the computers for? Only reason to have a Mac Pro is if you do computer graphics stuff. A iMac is plenty for graphic design and web design. I have ton of friends who work for huge magazine and web firms that just use iMacs with 16gbs of Ram.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
If you have a good monitor, get a Mini. The quad equals the most powerful mac (not counting 12 core MacPro's and BTO iMacs), it is cheap, reliable and probably more than you need. I would add an SSD and 16Gb ram myself directly though.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
If you use your Macs to earn income, might be prudent to maintain 2 Macs with the other machine as backup in case of unexpected repairs. I would use a laptop if I am mobile 90% of the time. For long hours of desktop work, I prefer a desktop Mac instead of a laptop. This is just my opinion as I know people's needs varies for their setup.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
Thanks for the replies. I don't use my machines for income, although I would like too someday. I had always intended to do something like that, but never got motivated enough to make it happen. I mainly got my Mac Pro with the intent to use for graphic design and video editing, but never did anything with it and I really don't have much interest in doing it anymore. I honestly just don't think I have the talent. I like the idea of selling my Mac Pro and getting a maxed out Mini. That way I can keep my displays (Dell U2412). I do like having 2 monitors for extended desktop. The mini would take up less room and it's quieter, plus more efficient. My Mac Pro is pretty souped up with 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, (2) 1TB HDD's, USB 3.0 PCIe card, USB 2.0 PCIe card for 4 extra ports. I could probably sell the Mac Pro with all the extra goodies on it and have a little left over after getting a mini. I think I'll wait and see if Apple releases a refreshed Mini soon with Haswell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.