Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
According to Bloomberg the ad was created under Ron Johnson's watch.

Development of the 30-second ad began a few months ago after executives reviewed customer feedback, Joey Thomas, a company spokesman, said in an e-mail. In other words, the ad originated under Ron Johnson, the former chief executive officer who alienated customers by ditching discounts and axing dozens of popular brands in favor of ones aimed at younger shoppers.

http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloo...ogizes-in-TV-Spot-Developed-Under-4480808.php

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I saw the advert last night for the first time and thought the same. I googled around and saw that Bloomberg remark, but still. It seriously implied that they were sorry about Johnson.

Johnson didn't make me come back to JCP, nor will their apologies. I have no reason to shop there personally.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Groveling is unbecoming.

During the ad, my wife (who knows nothing about Penney) looked at me and said, "What's this all about?". I could see her mentally puzzling through all the possible nasty/illegal/immoral things Penney might have done to bring themselves here. Acts so unspeakable, they were now begging our forgiveness on prime time.

What was their sin again?

"We tried to be something we were not."

Thank you.

But that's a national pastime. Hardly a sin.

Last edited:

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
Groveling is unbecoming.

During the ad, my wife (who knows nothing about Penney) looked at me and said, "What's this all about?". I could see her mentally puzzling through all the possible nasty/illegal/immoral things Penney might have done to bring themselves here. Acts so unspeakable, they were now begging our forgiveness on prime time.

What was their sin again?

Thank you.

But that's a national pastime. Hardly a sin.

Agreed! What a foolish move to draw more attention to all the terrible things you've done....that weren't really that bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.