Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GallagherJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
Hello all, I recently dropped my iPhone while walking and was thinking of purchasing a new one. Its not that the screen is shattered, or anything major, but I am bit strange about having my iPhone in perfect condition. I was wondering about how to go about this, considering that I have the option to pay $649 for an unlocked i5. I am a bit confused on whether to purchase an unlocked or off-contract device, and how I would go about doing it at the Apple store. After purchase would I simply pop in the nano sim card from my current device and be ready to go?

Anyways, if anyone has any idea on what I should do, please let me know!

Thanks,
Jack

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
If there is damage to the phone, you can get a replacement phone at the Apple Store for $229 plus tax. You say there is no damage though so I'm not sure they would do this in your case.

You certainly have the option to buy an unlocked phone from the Apple Store. Yes, you would just pop in your sim card and you would be good to go.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Hello all, I recently dropped my iPhone while walking and was thinking of purchasing a new one. Its not that the screen is shattered, or anything major, but I am bit strange about having my iPhone in perfect condition. I was wondering about how to go about this, considering that I have the option to pay $649 for an unlocked i5. I am a bit confused on whether to purchase an unlocked or off-contract device, and how I would go about doing it at the Apple store. After purchase would I simply pop in the nano sim card from my current device and be ready to go?

Anyways, if anyone has any idea on what I should do, please let me know!

Thanks,
Jack

Considering an out of warranty exchange will cost you ~$400 less I'd go for that. If you really want a new one just go purchase an unsubsidized device at Apple or your carrier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.