Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
When I bought ML originally I did save something. It's a folder called : Install OS X Mountain Lion.app with a size of 4.07GB, so it might be what's needed. Question though is : What to do with it ?

Ah hah! You are in luck then. Save that file! That should be a 10.8.0 version of ML. I would use this free app along with that file to make yourself a USB key installer. Then option key boot from the USB key and format with Disk Util like I described earlier.... and install away. That will give you a clean install of 10.8.0.

If you don't have a USB key, you can make a 6GB partition on your external USB drive and use the same app I linked to put the installer there. Then option key boot to that partition on the external.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I'm back to using 10.7.4 and so far no problems. I forgot how much faster the MBA runs on Lion. Maybe I'll stick to Lion-apart from IM, there's nothing I use-I recall.

Jimmy Guphanti

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
It appears that this is a general bug with 10.8.2 that revolves around stimuli that wake the computer from sleep causing it to crash such as bluetooth devices and internal software. Basically, sleep mode is bugged on 10.8.2. I sent a bug report to Apple, and they said it is a known problem, and they are working on it.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
It appears that this is a general bug with 10.8.2 that revolves around stimuli that wake the computer from sleep causing it to crash such as bluetooth devices and internal software. Basically, sleep mode is bugged on 10.8.2. I sent a bug report to Apple, and they said it is a known problem, and they are working on it.

Thanks for the update. I'm still debating whether anything about ML is worth upgrading for again !

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Update : I reinstalled 10.8.0 on a blank drive from USB and so far ML looks to be working fine. No sleep problems and minimal slow down. As I don't shut down that often I'm not bothered by the longer shut down/restart times. I guess a reinstall is better than an upgrade.

Downside : Increased Power usage still a problem, I guess they fixed that in newer 10.8.x versions but introduced other problems. Roll-On 10.8.5 !

Last edited:

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Well, here we go again.

10.8.0 now has problems with wake from deep sleep after OK use for 2+ weeks. I then upgraded to 10.8.2 (what the hell) and the same problems are extant. So I shall go back to 10.7.x (seems to work w/o problems) and wait for the next 10.8.

Maybe it is one of the open programmes ?

Here's a list of what are generally open at the time of sleep :

Mail
Safari
Excel
Calendar
WakeOnLan
BridgeChecker

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I have random (and frequent) restarts on my machine (MBP). I've had them since 10.8.0 and still have them on 10.8.2. A reinstall did nothing to fix the problem, and the genius bar people have been no help. I report it every time, and it's not always the same process causing the crash or reboot. It's quite ridiculous.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I have random (and frequent) restarts on my machine (MBP). I've had them since 10.8.0 and still have them on 10.8.2. A reinstall did nothing to fix the problem, and the genius bar people have been no help. I report it every time, and it's not always the same process causing the crash or reboot. It's quite ridiculous.

I think there's something fundamentally wrong in 10.8 concerning sleep behaviour. My problems only occur when waking from a deep sleep. Unfortunately I couldn't go back to 10.7 as the Email formats are all changed, so I'm stuck on 10.8. Ha.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Similar problem here since 10.8.0.

When I open the lid of my MBP to wake it, it will work for a few seconds or even many minutes, after which it will freeze and then go black all of a sudden, and reboot. Then at boot I get a message "your computer has rebooted because of a problem" or something along those lines (is that the new Mountain Lion post-boot Kernel Panic message?).

It has happened about 5 times already now, since installing Mountain Lion!

Here's my console for this morning's crash, from the time I opened the lid until Time Machine did something which probably means it has rebooted properly by that time.

I would REALLY appreciate some help, this is causing serious problems!

Here's the link to the TXT from the console: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2309822/Kernel Panic 4-11-12.txt

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Similar problem here since 10.8.0.

When I open the lid of my MBP to wake it, it will work for a few seconds or even many minutes, after which it will freeze and then go black all of a sudden, and reboot. Then at boot I get a message "your computer has rebooted because of a problem" or something along those lines (is that the new Mountain Lion post-boot Kernel Panic message?).

It has happened about 5 times already now, since installing Mountain Lion!

Here's my console for this morning's crash, from the time I opened the lid until Time Machine did something which probably means it has rebooted properly by that time.

I would REALLY appreciate some help, this is causing serious problems!

Here's the link to the TXT from the console: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2309822/Kernel Panic 4-11-12.txt

Suggest you start another thread as what you describe is different to what I have experienced. My problems also seem to be more related to deep sleep when on battery as I haven't seen them recently when the MBA has been on power all the time.

mikecism

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2010
Bug in 10.8.2 sleep

I've had the same issue (comes from sleep, displays the grey "there has been an error / must restart" screen.

i call this the grey screen of death, similar to the "window shade of death" in 10.7.

I have spent a fair amount of time troubleshooting this issue.

Bottom line: 10.8.2 sleep mode is bugged and Apple need to fix it. End of story.
Very annoying; it will replicate without fail. Reports are into Apple. They claim it's a known bug.

Pretty serious bug. Feels like I'm back on Windows 2000, and the sleep/hibernate problems.

The real culprit in these kernel panic is tracing to:

com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily(5.5),
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.7.3)

Some are claiming that VMWare is the culprit, but I've tested and that is not the case.

Guess I will just shut down computer each time and forego sleep mode. How 1980's of Apple...

Like the company's products, but would it kill ya to put a little bit of the gabillion dollars into regression testing just a little?

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I've had the same issue (comes from sleep, displays the grey "there has been an error / must restart" screen.

i call this the grey screen of death, similar to the "window shade of death" in 10.7.

I have spent a fair amount of time troubleshooting this issue.

Bottom line: 10.8.2 sleep mode is bugged and Apple need to fix it. End of story.
Very annoying; it will replicate without fail. Reports are into Apple. They claim it's a known bug.

Pretty serious bug. Feels like I'm back on Windows 2000, and the sleep/hibernate problems.

The real culprit in these kernel panic is tracing to:

com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily(5.5),
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.7.3)

Some are claiming that VMWare is the culprit, but I've tested and that is not the case.

Guess I will just shut down computer each time and forego sleep mode. How 1980's of Apple...

Like the company's products, but would it kill ya to put a little bit of the gabillion dollars into regression testing just a little?

Because of this I'm using my MBA on mains power all the time - not very portable is it ! Quick restarts from sleep and limited mobility is a better tradeoff for me than having to shut down all the time.

Another side affect of this (must be linked to the iokit code) is that any networked drives are unusable until restarted - another reason to keep plugged in. (e.g. links to a share on a NAS need to be reset by power cycling the NAS every time there is a problem)

leeh

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2013
+1

I am having this problem. Macbook Pro - mid 2012 OSX 10.8.2 restarts after sleep. This almost always happens in the morning. I typically take my MacBook home, but I don't recall it ever restarting in the evenings. It will restart a few times every week in the mornings. Sometimes it will say that it restarted because of a problem, but not always. Haven't changed any hardware by the way.

Has anyone found a solution or are we still waiting on Apple to fix this?

StrikeEagleIII

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
Infuriating!

I just bought an early 2013 15" MBPr and am having this issue. I was having kernel panics, and exchanged the laptop, and after installing chrome, rEFInd, and totalFinder started having kernel panics again. I've since done a complete reinstall and haven't installed ANYTHING and am now having these restarts when the computer goes to sleep. I have ML 10.8.5. I've disabled PowerNap for both when on battery or plugged in. I've only had this laptop for a week so I'm probably going to just take it back unless I can get it fixed.

Serious Apple? This is the kind of crap we expect from Microsoft. :mad: :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.