Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:41 PM   #1
blueicedj
macrumors 6502

Buy Retina Macbook Pro now or wait for Mountain Lion?

I'm currently in the market for a new Macbook Pro. Now that the retina Macbook has been shown and looks awesome I was wondering if I should go ahead and get it now or wait for Mountain Lion to come out so it is installed fresh. I know I can get a free update if I buy it now but I would it run better with a fresh install of Mountain Lion rather than Lion updated to Mountain Lion? Thanks for the help.
blueicedj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:43 PM   #2
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueicedj View Post
I'm currently in the market for a new Macbook Pro. Now that the retina Macbook has been shown and looks awesome I was wondering if I should go ahead and get it now or wait for Mountain Lion to come out so it is installed fresh. I know I can get a free update if I buy it now but I would it run better with a fresh install of Mountain Lion rather than Lion updated to Mountain Lion? Thanks for the help.
Seems like a pointless thing to wait for, just because you want a "fresh install," honestly won't make a difference.
mohsy90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:44 PM   #3
bigalow
macrumors member

won't you be able to do a clean install? worse case, it's a extra $19.99. That covers all of your compatible macs.
bigalow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:49 PM   #4
lulla01
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to lulla01
You get the upgrade for free if you buy it now
lulla01 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:50 PM   #5
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Just do a fresh install of ML when it comes out.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:36 PM   #6
JFC
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
Just do a fresh install of ML when it comes out.
It will ship with Lion. The back up partition will have Lion and the free upgrade to ML will be just an upgrade. So, how do you do a fresh install?
JFC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:38 PM   #7
RSully
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFC View Post
It will ship with Lion. The back up partition will have Lion and the free upgrade to ML will be just an upgrade. So, how do you do a fresh install?
The same way you do a fresh install of Lion when you installed on Snow Leopard from MAS. You install it, then boot into the updated recovery partition and format the disk, then install it again.
RSully is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:39 PM   #8
ubercool
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ubercool
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFC View Post
Same trick as with Lion, create a bootable installer on your USB stick -- buy a 3.0 version, it will go much faster!
ubercool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:50 PM   #9
MacRumoren
macrumors member

Would I be bad if I copy my current Lion onto the new MBP when it arrives?

I remember using the "Move my Mac" function a while ago, and it seriously sucked, missing all kinds of files and apps and certain settings not transferred properly.

I hope there is a way to clone my existing disk/OS onto the SSD in the new MBP?
MacRumoren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:09 PM   #10
73CortinaV8
macrumors regular

I think the better question is "buy now or wait to see if there are any problems with the 1st run"
73CortinaV8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:15 PM   #11
pragmatous
macrumors 6502a

You get mountain lion for free.

The OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date upgrade will be available at no additional charge from the Mac App Store to all customers who purchase a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 11, 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueicedj View Post
pragmatous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:25 PM   #12
LaidBack
Contributor

Does anyone know of any disadvantages in performance or space requirements from the OS after doing an upgrade vs. a clean install?
LaidBack is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro