Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reds13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Hi guys, just need some genuine advice here. I'm looking to get a new MBP but I'm toasting between the new rMBP and MBP 17". Both of them will cost about the same but personally I do prefer the larger screen. Do you think it's stupid if spending the money on a 17" MBP instead of the new rMBP?

Cheers.

Smiller4128

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
Well I just sold my late-2011 17" MacBook Pro to get the new 15" Retina MacBook Pro and I would have to say that sacrificing those 2" in order to get a screen with over 5 million pixels was definitely worth it as everything is SO much sharper on it. It blows me away everytime I use it. And as time goes on, all applications will get an update to be retina compatable so I would say go ahead an pull the trigger on it :)

Joell

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
Hi guys, just need some genuine advice here. I'm looking to get a new MBP but I'm toasting between the new rMBP and MBP 17". Both of them will cost about the same but personally I do prefer the larger screen. Do you think it's stupid if spending the money on a 17" MBP instead of the new rMBP?

Cheers.

i would go for the new mbp since you get more than just a retina screen compared to the rather outdated 17" mbp. The pros far outweigh the cons for getting the new one spec-wise
besides, you can always get an external monitor if you need more screen real estate

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA

Cheers.

I have both a new MBP_R and a 17" 2011 MBP.

As one with a lot of experience with all the various models of MBP's, I highly endorse the 17" over the MBP_R.

Sure there is the retina display... a feature that is surrounded by lots of buzz as it's new, and highly hyped. While it's very nice, it's very important to remember the MBP_R is not upgradeable, and worse, it's not easily repaired.

In the event something should happen to the display it cannot be replaced in the conventional sense, since it's now a part of the lid, it's a one piece bonded assembly. So the only way to replace one that fails is to replace the entire top half of the computer... very pricey. If under warranty that's one thing, but once you are out of warranty you are on your own.

The same holds true for the battery that is glued in place. For $200, Apple will replace it, but do you really want that?

The only reason I bought the new retina model is because I can easily afford it, it's not my only computer, and as a long time Apple enthusiast, I like to keep up with the latest in Apple tech.

Yet that said, when asked by friends and family for a suggestion I would _never_ in good faith, suggest the MBP_R.

It is so new there is no track record, it's well known that for the most part, a throwaway computer. Not very green if you ask me. Oh sure they claim it's made from easily recyclable materials, but I suggest that's not necessarily the case.

I'm on my third 17" MBP in six years and could not be happier, these are very fine machines which truly reflect Apple's best work.

Buy _anything_ other than a MBP_R.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.