Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

briceman

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
So, earlier this year I purchased a Kindle Fire for my wife for Mother's Day. She was very excited about the prospect of having a small tablet to use (as she always felt my iPad 2 was just too big for daily use). However several weeks into owning the Fire I noticed it was always on her bed and not with her. I asked about it and she admitted she had only used it the first day. She had a hard time finding native apps for it and preferred her iPhone because it "just worked". So we took the Fire back and I told her I'd keep my ears open about a smaller iPad that had been rumored for awhile. I purchased her a 16 GB iPad Mini for her birthday and she uses it every single day. She's not a pixel peeper and her main love is the size of the screen, lightness and the apps. She has also used it many times to play cartoons for our 1 year old. All that to say, the mini is an excellent device that may have some technical shortcomings for the geeks and pixel peepers (myself included) but for the average user it's a fully functioning true tablet with the best Eco system available.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
After a while you will get use to the screen , it doesn't bother me

I'm glad I sold my ipad 3 before the event so I got top dollar for it

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I folded and grabbed a mini as well. I grew tired of my iPad 2 during a recent trip, so I sold it when I came back. I thought it was the OS that I was getting tired of, and I bought a 13" retina MBP. I used that for about 10 days before I remembered why I sold my 12" powerbook some years back, and why I sold my Blackbook, and why I sold my Macbook Pro. I don't like laptops anymore due to the cost. I even had an 11" MBA for a while that I simply didn't like. I don't like the changes of OSX to be more similar to that of iOS. In fact, it kind of encourages me to use iOS. I knew that I didn't want the size of the iPad, and the idea that the iPad 4 is slightly heavier than the iPad 2 was is a turn-off (yes, very minimal, but a big deal when the size was an issue).

I got my wife an iPad mini and fell in love with it. The mini should have been released first. It can do what the ipad 2 and 4 can do, but at a manageable weight. Plus, I can still edit my photos, play games, and watch hulu with no issues.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
After a while you will get use to the screen , it doesn't bother me

I'm glad I sold my ipad 3 before the event so I got top dollar for it

I only got $430 for mine and it's a 32GB. At least I break even for the mini, but sad. I can't believe the resale value dropped so much.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I love my mini too...I'm still dancing around and I cant decide about selling my iPad 3 or not. I don't think it will get much use from here on out but then I hate losing money on it. I should probably act soon if I'm going to sell it because I know the price must be dropping.

Tigger92

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
North Carolina
This makes me glad I am about to get a mini for my wife for christmas. It is lighter and will be a significant upgrade for her from the original iPad.

Might even make me want to get one my self and I only have the iPad 2 right now...still debating on whether to get the mini or upgrade to the iPad gen4.

Any thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.