Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:30 AM   #1
benguild
macrumors 6502a

Software RAID 10 ... can you boot from just two of the drives?

I'm pretty sure that the Mac's built-in RAID feature is actually a 0+1 ... meaning that it's a mirror of two RAID-0s. Is that right?

So, in other words, one could boot from just the two if the second two drives were removed?

Just wondering. I'd have to check the IDs or positions of the drives in Disk Utility beforehand.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:05 AM   #2
PowerPCMacMan
Banned

What exactly are you asking? It is 0+1 using Disk Utility.. anything over that would require an Apple RAID card which I don't recommend as they can't be used with Windows. A 3rd party RAID card from Areca can be used to RAID drives under Windows - IF AND ONLY IF WINDOWS IS ALL YOU WANT TO RAID. If you mainly use OS X and NOT WINDOWS, then the Apple RAID card would be a good solution for you.

So, what is the question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Mac's built-in RAID feature is actually a 0+1 ... meaning that it's a mirror of two RAID-0s. Is that right?

So, in other words, one could boot from just the two if the second two drives were removed?

Just wondering. I'd have to check the IDs or positions of the drives in Disk Utility beforehand.
PowerPCMacMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:42 PM   #3
benguild
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPCMacMan View Post
What exactly are you asking? It is 0+1 using Disk Utility.. anything over that would require an Apple RAID card which I don't recommend as they can't be used with Windows. A 3rd party RAID card from Areca can be used to RAID drives under Windows - IF AND ONLY IF WINDOWS IS ALL YOU WANT TO RAID. If you mainly use OS X and NOT WINDOWS, then the Apple RAID card would be a good solution for you.

So, what is the question?
I'm asking if one were to remove two of the drives and attempt to boot the machine, would it work?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:13 PM   #4
deconstruct60
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash View Post
I'm asking if one were to remove two of the drives and attempt to boot the machine, would it work?
If you remove the correct two ( leaving behind the redundant pair for each removed drive ) then it will run. 0 + 1 or 1 + 0 doesn't make much of a difference. Which drives are in the "1" ( data stored on two drives ) is more important.

If used Disk Utility to set-up RAID 10 then can just select a HDD in the right and do a 'Get Info' (cmd-I ). In that info there will be disk indentifier number. Typically, those line up on a mac pro by bay number.
deconstruct60 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro