Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
On every thread I read, a popup window appears. It opens a modal dialog box which I have to click, then it maximises the window, and then when I try to close the window, it prompts me again before closing itself (one of those 'are you sure you wish to navigate away from this page?' ones). The whole ad refers to entering a competition to win an iPad 3.

Not sure if you guys are aware of this but it seems like a really intrusive advert. Never seen ones like this before on MR.

Cheers

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
On every thread I read, a popup window appears. It opens a modal dialog box which I have to click, then it maximises the window, and then when I try to close the window, it prompts me again before closing itself (one of those 'are you sure you wish to navigate away from this page?' ones). The whole ad refers to entering a competition to win an iPad 3.

Not sure if you guys are aware of this but it seems like a really intrusive advert. Never seen ones like this before on MR.

Cheers

Hi, I haven't seen this one. We're not supposed to have them.

Can you post a screenshot? You can post it here or email me at arn@normalkid.com

arn

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Since I posted this thread it hasn't appeared again.

I'm pretty savvy with computers, don't visit websites I don't trust, regularly scan for spyware etc. and MacRumors was the only tab I had open, so I'm almost certain it originated from here.

I'll keep an eye out and if it happens again, I'll take a screenshot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.