Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ranga72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
you probably wont like this but i recently converted to the dark side because my macbook broke but i want to keep all my old laptop info in a virtual machine on my new windows pc. is anyone aware of a way i can convert it into one

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
you probably wont like this but i recently converted to the dark side because my macbook broke but i want to keep all my old laptop info in a virtual machine on my new windows pc. is anyone aware of a way i can convert it into one

I do not think that OS X is allowed to run in a virtual machine. There were some attempts made (I think they were succesful) and I am not sure now if there was something with server that was allowed.

Windows in the bootcamp partition can read the OS X files. You can put the HDD of your Mac into an external enclosure and then it is finding out which driver you need to extract from bootcamp installation and install that on your windows machine. There are also third party drivers that you can install in Windows that will allow you read and write to the OS X file system.

Alternatively Linux can read and write to OS X file system.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012

According to the Oracle VirtualBox website you should be able to run OS X as a VM using their software though they do state that this is in beta...

ranga72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
thanks i will try just getting the files off it with custom drivers. you were all more helpful than people on windows forums

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
thanks i will try just getting the files off it with custom drivers. you were all more helpful than people on windows forums

In order for OS X to run in VB properly, you have to get the server edition. and what broke on your macbook?

denzaltrueman

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
In my perspective definitely windows not enabling the exclusive devices on it, so I think the transformation is not possible in that. So try to use some unique transformation methods on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.