Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:54 AM   #26
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Are there any e-ink eReaders that handle multiple formats and have a large screen (8" or more)?
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:18 AM   #27
MrDoug
macrumors newbie

I have iPad4/PaperWhite.. but use Nexus 7 for books, iPad4 for Newspapers and Magazines.. the screen resolution on the Nexus 7 for Books is awesome..
Doug
MrDoug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:15 PM   #28
LizKat
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrcee View Post
Nook Simple Touch w/ Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoG View Post
I bought my daughter this as a gift for good grades, she's a heavy book reader. She likes my ipad for everything else but when it comes to clocking time reading off a device its the nook glowlight all day for her..
I could sure use one of those instead of my Nook e-ink reader that needs a clip-on light. I seem to have misplaced the light. Oh well, another item on the to-do list. Find the darn thing and then stitch a pocket for it onto the sleeve I had made for the reader!
LizKat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:25 PM   #29
AndersOlson
macrumors member

I use both my ipad mini and my kindle. The kindle is great for reading outside or in situations where it might get dirty while the ipad is a great bedside reader as I can check my email and twitter and whatnot while I'm reading. Both have their uses for different situations.
64GB iPhone 5
AndersOlson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:30 PM   #30
ZBoater
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersOlson View Post
I use both my ipad mini and my kindle. The kindle is great for reading outside or in situations where it might get dirty while the ipad is a great bedside reader as I can check my email and twitter and whatnot while I'm reading. Both have their uses for different situations.
+1. The Kindle Paperwhite is awesome, and does two things. First, it lets me read everywhere, with a sharp screen and very light weight. Second, without the distractions of the iPad (Infinity Blade!) I can read more.

When I want to read a book, I reach for my Kindle. I love my iPad, but eReading is not its strongest suit.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:26 AM   #31
maflynn

The kindle touch was my tablet of choice, before that was the iPad 1 but now the iPad mini
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:40 AM   #32
bevsb2
macrumors 6502

My iPad 4 is my all time favorite device, but for reading I use my Kindle Paper white because it is easier on the eyes and light to hold. I also love my Fire HD for listening to audiobooks in the car, a feature the Kindle Paperwhite doesn't have.
bevsb2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:10 AM   #33
marcfiszman
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Night View Post
just finished reading a lovely suspense called The Clout of Gen on my new mini iPad and I loved the light weight of the mini and the lighting of the iPad.

I recommend the Mini iPad for reading ebooks, and yes I recommend The Clout of Gen by Ahmad Ardalan too.
Are you trying to promote this book? You enjoyed mentioning it over here as well.
marcfiszman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:28 AM   #34
yegon
macrumors 68000

Kindle Paperwhite by far.

That said, the Mini is better than I thought it'd be given the ppi. With the correct font text looks excellent in the Kindle app.
yegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:29 AM   #35
SlasherDuff
macrumors 6502a

Before my daughter hijacked my iPad 2, it used to be my favorite eReader.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:07 AM   #36
cardfan
macrumors regular

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?&docId=1000863021

I was going to get an ipad mini for my 6yr old even though I don't personally like the screen. But thinking I'll cancel that as well. I had considered the Fire HD but decided against it but with the 2.99 a month unlimited kids' content, it seems like a nobrainer now.

Looks like I'll be getting her a Fire HD, and perhaps an ipad 4 for myself later but don't need as much storage since she'll have her own tablet.
cardfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:25 AM   #37
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?&docId=1000863021

I was going to get an ipad mini for my 6yr old even though I don't personally like the screen. But thinking I'll cancel that as well. I had considered the Fire HD but decided against it but with the 2.99 a month unlimited kids' content, it seems like a nobrainer now.

Looks like I'll be getting her a Fire HD, and perhaps an ipad 4 for myself later but don't need as much storage since she'll have her own tablet.
Here is a link to the content that is available for the Amazon program. Looks nice, but it is geared toward younger children. I don't think that my 12-year-old son would enjoy most of the stuff.
ucfgrad93 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:58 PM   #38
davideotape
macrumors 6502

ive been using my mini just because its new and shiny but when that dust settles i'll move back to my kindle paperwhite
davideotape is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:24 PM   #39
Baggio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
The other issue with Mini is that the text for webpages is too small.
I only find that problem with Safari. I use Mercury and adjust the text size and even Chrome, which doesn't have the option for text sizing, but has better text rendering than Safari. Not sure if it can fixed with an iOS update or not.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:14 PM   #40
hel22
macrumors newbie

I just got my ipad 2 and I love iBooks and the kindle app. I used to read on my iphone but PDF's were impossible to read and now with the bigger screen, PDF reading is a bliss!!
hel22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:10 PM   #41
ixodes
macrumors 601

For all around use I like my iPad 4.

For portability I like my iPad mini.

For the Android experience I like my Nexus 7.

For eBook reading I greatly prefer my Kindle Paperwhite.

I've become very fond of tablets in just a short time.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:22 PM   #42
aluren
macrumors 65816

I find myself reading most on my iPhone 5 nowadays, since its easy for me to read a couple pages here and there throughout the day without having to carry a separate device. I have the Kindle 4 and iPad 3 as well, but always goes back to reading on my iPhone, and the 4" and verticle scrolling helps.
aluren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:56 PM   #43
token787
macrumors regular

Nook, I think second generation. love it!
token787 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:17 PM   #44
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggio View Post
I only find that problem with Safari. I use Mercury and adjust the text size and even Chrome, which doesn't have the option for text sizing, but has better text rendering than Safari. Not sure if it can fixed with an iOS update or not.
Guess I'll try Chrome then. Mercury goes wacky on occasion with no keyboard available. I tried Perferct Browser but on some sites text runs into each other.

On my gf's mini I just use Safari in landscape for web browsing.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad