Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:00 PM   #76
DesignerOnMac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
some people want better sound guys

blutooth music bitrate isn't the greatest. 128kb but correct me if im wrong.
I remember when JBL was a great speaker company, was sorry to see them bought out!!!
DesignerOnMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:18 AM   #77
hchung
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotInvasion View Post
Question for this crowd: I bought the JBL Flip Bluetooth speaker and it doesn't seem to always be "listening" for audio coming from my Mac. It sounds like the connection "sleeps" when no audio is playing and then when I play something, it takes a few seconds to "wake up" and start playing audio.

Is this normal for Bluetooth speakers? Just a way to conserve battery life?

Any way to get it to "always listen" for audio to avoid this delay? If not, I'll just use an auxiliary cord...

PS - There is also latency between the mouth of a person in a video and the audio from the speaker. Not always but frequently...is this normal as well?
That's all normal for bluetooth. The start/stop is to conserve battery life. Having the radio "always listen" won't fix the latency either.

The latency is because A2DP is done by sending a compressed stream over the air. Often times, it'll have to be recompressed by the device and then decompressed by the other device, hence the latency. Not to mention that bluetooth itself adds latency too.
hchung is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:20 AM   #78
Berserker-UK
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneriderltr450 View Post
What hotels do you stay at that don't have an alarm clock?
Most hotels. Even the non-budget ones. Outside the US, anyway.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:32 AM   #79
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumbo View Post
AirPlay requires the Airport Express or AppleTV.
Both are cheaper solutions than docks.
TC03 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:15 AM   #80
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

I sit in an office 9 hours a day. Why in the heck would I want to 'Airplay' music and also plug in my phone to keep it charged when I can plunk it down in a nice speaker dock? A decent speaker dock is also a helluva lot less expensive than an Airplay device.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:58 AM   #81
mkbook
macrumors member

Bluetooth music streaming in a dock? That's disappointing. Bluetooth sounds terrible. I need to stick with AirPlay I suppose.
mkbook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:30 AM   #82
bobr1952
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumbo View Post
Swap it for the cable adapter. Allows phone to be held and passes audio.

----------

AirPlay requires the Airport Express or AppleTV.
Hmm--read my post on this page about the Altec Lansing InAir 5000--just one of many non-Apple Airplay solutions.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:35 AM   #83
PatriotInvasion
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchung View Post
That's all normal for bluetooth. The start/stop is to conserve battery life. Having the radio "always listen" won't fix the latency either.

The latency is because A2DP is done by sending a compressed stream over the air. Often times, it'll have to be recompressed by the device and then decompressed by the other device, hence the latency. Not to mention that bluetooth itself adds latency too.
Thanks. Does AirPlay also suffer from this annoying latency?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:47 PM   #84
hchung
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotInvasion View Post
Thanks. Does AirPlay also suffer from this annoying latency?
I'm sure Airplay introduces latency, that's just a fundamental given.
However, the amount of latency could be lower given that there's more powerful hardware thrown at the problem.

Here's another thing. Airplay tends to be used when sending both video and audio. Those arrive at the same time, so that if you're watching from the output device (TV?), it's all nicely synced.

However, if you're playing a game on an ipad, and sending the video to a TV over airplay, then the latency for the audio/visual output will cause a slight delay in reaction time.

But, this reaction time is small enough that many gamers wouldn't notice. It's a lower lag then over-the-internet multiplayer games, for example.
hchung is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:53 PM   #85
JemTheWire
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
why is everyone so hung up on "Docks" when we have much simpler/better solutions available. I've never really seen the appeal of a "dock".
Completely agree. Networked my SoundDock 10 via AirTunes. Superb. And I can sit in my chair and select what I want.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:39 AM   #86
AJAAY
macrumors regular

OMG! Does it really matter if someone uses a dock, AirPlay or Bluetooth!?

Why do people feel the need to pawn off their usage habits on other people, or argue that their usage habits are superior.

Get over it! There is no right answer or all time right way to use an iPhone. You use it the way YOU want to use it.
AJAAY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:06 PM   #87
Yumbo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok View Post
actually AirPlay doesn't require them. They make airplay speakers. You do, however, require wifi.
Yes, but that was in reference to those posting about hooking up to existing stereos, and with the exception of 1 or 2 amps, they don't have built-in Airplay.
Yumbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:48 PM   #88
KanosWRX
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post

----------

Bluetooth sounds like ass.
If you really want good audio you will be streaming it from your loss-less flac directly, not from a phone!
KanosWRX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:06 PM   #89
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanosWRX View Post
If you really want good audio you will be streaming it from your loss-less flac directly, not from a phone!
Android phones play flac files just fine.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:14 PM   #90
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignerOnMac View Post
I remember when JBL was a great speaker company, was sorry to see them bought out!!!
Harmon owns some great companies. Ever hear of Mark Levinson? Infinity? Harmon Kardon?
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:32 PM   #91
bobr1952
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Android phones play flac files just fine.
And the iPhone plays Apple Lossless just fine.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:17 PM   #92
KanosWRX
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobr1952 View Post
And the iPhone plays Apple Lossless just fine.
And 99% of the rest of the world has no idea what FLAC or Apple Lossless is and wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyways
KanosWRX is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion