Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Towelie1288

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2012
Texas
just a heads up for people that wanna play civ 5 on the new imac late 2012 27" with 680mx i got an email from aspyr and its official civ 5 doesnt support the 680mx yet will update soon ----gave no timeframe

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
just a heads up for people that wanna play civ 5 on the new imac late 2012 27" with 680mx i got an email from aspyr and its official civ 5 doesnt support the 680mx yet will update soon ----gave no timeframe

Curious.... did you by any chance download your Civ5 from the Apple Mac App Store? Or was it from the Steam version? (there are differences between the two)

Towelie1288

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2012
Texas
Curious.... did you by any chance download your Civ5 from the Apple Mac App Store? Or was it from the Steam version? (there are differences between the two)

i got it from steam with all expansions packs for like 15 bucks its was a great deal

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
I have a new iMac i7 with the better GPU. This replaced a 2011 iMac that was also max-ed out.

CIV V plays better on the new machine with graphic options set to the mid-range. On the old machine, I could count on the terrain become a red and white checkerboard after the game got to about the mid-point, and progressively worse as I went on. It still did this on the new machine, but to nowhere near the same extent.

I have both the Steam and Apple store versions, and had the same issues with both. (I bought the App Store version when it came out, hoping that it would resolve the problem, in fact. Obviously, it didn't.)

That said, the game is still very playable IMO on an iMac. And, as was said above, there is always the dreaded Boot Camp option.

Now if I could only find Civ 2 somewhere for OS X.

Towelie1288

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2012
Texas
I have a new iMac i7 with the better GPU. This replaced a 2011 iMac that was also max-ed out.

CIV V plays better on the new machine with graphic options set to the mid-range. On the old machine, I could count on the terrain become a red and white checkerboard after the game got to about the mid-point, and progressively worse as I went on. It still did this on the new machine, but to nowhere near the same extent.

I have both the Steam and Apple store versions, and had the same issues with both. (I bought the App Store version when it came out, hoping that it would resolve the problem, in fact. Obviously, it didn't.)

That said, the game is still very playable IMO on an iMac. And, as was said above, there is always the dreaded Boot Camp option.

i understand what you mean but the issue isn't with the iMac , its the grapic card Civ 5 doesnt support the new 680MX on the new iMac in max settings and it sucks cause it crashes more often now

Last edited:

Jindra12

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013

Yeah I have same experience as the above said. I couldn't play CIV IV after I played CIV V for few days. I'm hooked to CIV V's features and artworks. I like CIV IV for quick turns.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.