Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
Less than the 5S.

I'm not "acting like they've fundamentally changed their phone offering"; you're arguing with the voices in your head on that point. The mid-range offering cost less than the high-end offering before, and it still costs less.

Oh really?

"In any case, it still costs less, and it runs iOS. That's all that matters. "

If that's "all that matters" why would the 5C attract Android customers that previously weren't attracted to buying the 4S or the 4?

Why even bother?

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA
If that's "all that matters" why would the 5C attract Android customers that previously weren't attracted to buying the 4S or the 4?

Why even bother?
The iPhone already attracts Android users… They don't need to try to attract more than that. This phone clearly costs Apple less to manufacture, so they make MORE money even if the rate that Android users switch over doesn't change at all.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Signing up for a corporate plan. Sweet deal for living in Canada. 350 anytime, 250 Across Canada LD, free nights and weekends local, unlimited text and video message, and 5 GB of data. All for 50 bucks a month. No pricing on the phone as of yet. Has to be a 3 year plan though.

If your 5S handset prices come in at the same 199-299-399 level, that appears to be a sweet deal indeed, even at a three year term.

Figuring on average ~$20/mo out of that $50/mo, for the handset, could you get a plan like that for $30/mo, if you bought your own (un-locked) phone? That option would allow you to sell your phone privately, if at any time in the future you wanted to upgrade. Carrier upgrades usually end up costing you more. :(

absurdamerica

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
The survey was US only. Nothing said it wasn't…?

Well it might be interesting to take a look at markets that don't subsidize their phones, where Android has 80 percent market share rather than on focusing on the single market where Apple actually continues to dominate.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I am stuck with an iPhone 4. Works perfectly, but should I update to the iPhone 5s? You have to take into account that I will be locked in with this plan for 3 years. Last years model with a plastic case is not an option. Your opinions please!!!!!

Your problem is that you want to get on a contract.

I bought an unlocked iPhone 5, got a bunch of Virgin frequent flyer points, and then shoved in my own sim from my preferred carrier. No contract.

The amount I save on monthly carrier fees more than makes up for cost of purchasing the phone outright. In fact, I end up ahead after just 10 months and I'm free to upgrade my phone or change my carrier at any time. I save about $50/month getting the same call/txt/data without the contract.

Find a no-contract carrier that has good rates/value. Buy the appropriate phone outright.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
but here apple has a phone that is slightly more expensive but a much better device. that scenario wasnt or isnt there with the computers
You live in a warped world if you think $100 is "slightly more" expensive. Also consider that many people are not buying one but two, or more, for their spouse or family members. $100 each adds up VERY quickly.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
It costs what the iPhone 5 would cost which has better build quality
For starters, you haven't even touched one, so you can't talk about build quality, but hands-on reviews say it's the usual high Apple build-quality product. Second, most iPhone 5's that I've seen have been peppered with little dings all over the the aluminum back and edges, not to mention those that have bent. Will the 5c suffer these problems? Can't say for sure since we haven't touched them, obviously, but based on the very nature of plastic (and this is a heavily lacquer-coated polycarbonate, not cheap injection-molded polystyrene that most think of when they hear the word "plastic,") it's extremely unlikely.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
You live in a warped world if you think $100 is "slightly more" expensive. Also consider that many people are not buying one but two, or more, for their spouse or family members. $100 each adds up VERY quickly.

please read it again. the price difference in context with the inside of the devices.

i would have wanted it to be a few hundred dollars cheaper especially for the reasons you mention but to me a $100 is not that much when you factor in what you are getting and the possible resale value.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
For starters, you haven't even touched one, so you can't talk about build quality, but hands-on reviews say it's the usual high Apple build-quality product. Second, most iPhone 5's that I've seen have been peppered with little dings all over the the aluminum back and edges, not to mention those that have bent. Will the 5c suffer these problems? Can't say for sure since we haven't touched them, obviously, but based on the very nature of plastic (and this is a heavily lacquer-coated polycarbonate, not cheap injection-molded polystyrene that most think of when they hear the word "plastic,") it's extremely unlikely.

I was thinking quality of materials. A plastic phone can feel strong it's not as high end like metal.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
please read it again. the price difference in context with the inside of the devices.

i would have wanted it to be a few hundred dollars cheaper especially for the reasons you mention but to me a $100 is not that much when you factor in what you are getting and the possible resale value.
The 5c is not going to plummet in value because it's a 5c. It'll retain a great amount of its value simply because it's an Apple product. It'll be less than the 5s is worth, but that's only because the 5s starts higher. I mean, I'm able to sell off my iPhone 4S for between $200-300 today, well over two years after it debuted, and Apple is offering it free on contract. I have no fears that the 5c will somehow lose all of its value in two years. There are plenty of people who will pay good money for a a contract-free iPhone even if it's long past being the latest and greatest.

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
only a $100 difference in the 5s and 5C and still it's more popular, either people are really stupid or apple is really smart;)

fatboyslick

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
more popular?

not according to my mate who works for EE.....complete lack of interest for 5C on pre-order day.

Most people got confused and rang up to order 5S....

Apple, in my opinion, haven't communicated the differing pre-oders very clearly

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
For the 5C, the "zero dollar" down payment incentives from the likes of T-Mobile to WalMart will grab the attention of those new to iPhone's true cost. To many of them, it will seem too good to pass up. That's one thing that's going to drive the 5C sales for the proles (e.g. your Aunt Bertha), at least initially.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.