Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 1, 2013, 09:55 PM   #151
funnyboy88
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drka0tic View Post
Yes. Take it back! Wait for the 5S.
Well, the sad part is, he can return the iPhone 5 he just got, but he won't be able to get his 4S back.

As for selling your old iPhone:
You can always get more money from Ebay for selling your old device, but it comes with a risk. I sold my 3GS to a guy in Venezuela, and at some point, the package was stolen and it was never delivered. I had to refund the buyer. If you sell your iPhone on eBay, GET SHIPPING INSURANCE. I still smack myself everyday.
funnyboy88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:39 PM   #152
(L)
macrumors 6502

Am I wrong to think that this would have no bearing on iPhone 4s that have been carrier locked by a carrier and are therefore effectively bricked? (Cannot be used as a phone with any other carrier, ever.)
Old Sep 2, 2013, 08:02 AM   #153
otismotive77
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfingers View Post
Really? There is no logic here.

There are only two outcomes on September 10th. (which is only 10 days from now). And neither of them result in you having made a good decision.

1. The 5s is way the heck better than the 5. You could have chillaxed and got it at no extra cost.

2. The 5s isn't that great and for some some oddball reason you would prefer the 5. You could have just chillaxed a couple weeks and saved a $100.

You're within your return period. Take that sucker back
1) iphone 5 will be discontinued after the release of iphone 5C (otherwise, no one would bother to buy that cheap phone)

2)if i return the phone, i would get my money back and they will ask me to buy something else(bcoz that's the policy of this program), what am i supposed to buy?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjr101 View Post
That's not the point. The iphone 5s doesn't need to be the best thing since apple pie. Logic 101 tells you that, because the 5s will be an upgraded model of the iphone 5 (and that's a fact, not an opinion), any person with their right mind would wait for the upgraded version instead of purchasing an iphone 5 today. What you did was like buying a brand new 2012 car when you could buy the 2013 model in a few days for the same price. Additionally, your new iphone 5 will be devaluated drastically as soon as the 5s comes out. And that's assuming you did not get in a contract with the carriers, because if you did, that would make your decision much worst. But to each their own, just saying.
hmmm.... i think i should return it...
otismotive77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 08:35 PM   #154
michael31986
macrumors 65816

can you trade in a iphone 5 for a 5S?
michael31986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:49 AM   #155
harlemexplosion
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael31986 View Post
can you trade in a iphone 5 for a 5S?
quite possibly.
harlemexplosion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:35 AM   #156
darcspyd3r
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Dang - well I guess I don't have to actually ship the phone. I'll just ignore the offer.

Never heard of NextWorth either - are they reputable? They are quoting 370 for my 5, which isn't bad at all, but I feel like I could get more on eBay anyways....

Probably will just go the eBay route with a $500 price tag - if it doesn't sell, I'll go through one of these sites.
Yeah, NextWorth handles all of the Target Store trade-ins here in the US. I've heard pretty good dealings with friends in the past, so I'd trust them over other "newer" trade sites.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 12:08 PM   #157
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcspyd3r View Post
Yeah, NextWorth handles all of the Target Store trade-ins here in the US. I've heard pretty good dealings with friends in the past, so I'd trust them over other "newer" trade sites.
Luckily for me I was able to sell through eBay for $525 + $15 shipping. Shipped today and will have my money by the time the 5S is released!

Nexus 5 | iPhone 5S, 5C | Lumia 520 |iPad rMini, Air | Kindle Fire 7" HDX
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 09:59 PM   #158
surfologist87
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Depends on how one values there time though. Gazelle you basically put it in a box and drop off. CL you have to post a message, filter out the fakers, respond to interested parties, wait for or meet buyer, hope the buyer shows up. All that takes more than an hour cumulatively. Unless one works at the mall for $15/hr, $70 for more than a cumulative hours work isn't worth that hassle.
How one values THEIR time likely depends on ones spelling and grammar.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 07:17 AM   #159
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfologist87 View Post
How one values THEIR time likely depends on ones spelling and grammar.
Exactly. I don't have time to use spell check on a web forum much less correct other's misspellings.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:59 AM   #160
darcspyd3r
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Luckily for me I was able to sell through eBay for $525 + $15 shipping. Shipped today and will have my money by the time the 5S is released!
Awesome man! I just didn't want to deal with going the eBay route.
All I was looking for was a way that I paid basically the sales tax for two new iPhone 5s's.

Now, September 10th\20th couldn't get here any quicker!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:09 PM   #161
Zaphodsplanet
macrumors member

How about my Newton?

Could I trade in my first gen iPad and Newton in on a new Retina iPad?......LOL
Zaphodsplanet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 09:24 PM   #162
surfologist87
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Exactly. I don't have time to use spell check on a web forum much less correct other's misspellings.
Well played. Who really cares about that damn red dotted line. Just about every one of my iMessages has it
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:51 PM   #163
opinio
macrumors 65816

No Australia
opinio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 09:29 AM   #164
inboxer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcspyd3r View Post
Nextworth is definitely a large reputable company. I never used them but have heard from friends that they are good. I have used both gazelle and buybackworld and both paid fast and a very fair offer. It is best to stick to the reputable companies like gazelle, buybackworld, nextworth for cash or the Apple tradein program for credit towards a new phone. I will be comparison shopping around for the highest price. I don't like eBay due to scammers and the hassle of selling. Craigslist can be dangerous too!
inboxer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:26 PM   #165
Rigby
macrumors 6502a

I just used the old recycling program (where you send in your device) to trade in my old iPhone 4. They gave me $151, which I find quite reasonable for a 16GB iPhone 4. The transaction was smooth and effortless on my end. You don't even have to package the phone, since they send you a voucher for Fedex return service including packaging. I just dropped the phone off at the nearest Fedex store and a week later received my giftcard by email. No Ebay listings, shipping, waiting for payment, dealing with shady buyers ... no muss, no fuss.
Rigby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:40 PM   #166
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000

One thing of note is that the Apple mail-in program accepts water-damaged phones.
My wife's phone has the moisture sensors tripped but is in otherwise flawless condition.
Gazelle and the other buyback stores bury it in their terms that water-damaged phones will be refused or else re-evaluated as broken so no matter what they quote you -- that's not what you're going to get once they evaluate it.
The Apple program lets you disclaim right up front that the phone has water damage so there's no surprises later.
Gjwilly is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 06:50 AM   #167
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Dos anyone know how the new in-store trade-in program compares to the prices offered by Gazelle and Nextworth?
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:45 AM   #168
E3BK
macrumors 6502a

So the gift card is only usable towards a new phone that is "on contract" meaning I can't use it to buy an unsubsidized unlocked phone? Am I understanding that correctly? If so, that's a bummer.

** a few minutes later **
Sorry...I found the answer. You can use it towards an unlocked unsubsidized device as long as it is activated to a carrier in store. Yay!
E3BK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:58 AM   #169
inboxer
macrumors member

Today I will be testing a few different trade-in sites: Gazelle, BuyBackWorld, and NextWorth. I have collected a few different iPhones to sell to each company. I will report back my findings within the next few weeks.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:28 PM   #170
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjwilly View Post
One thing of note is that the Apple mail-in program accepts water-damaged phones.
My wife's phone has the moisture sensors tripped but is in otherwise flawless condition.
Gazelle and the other buyback stores bury it in their terms that water-damaged phones will be refused or else re-evaluated as broken so no matter what they quote you -- that's not what you're going to get once they evaluate it.
The Apple program lets you disclaim right up front that the phone has water damage so there's no surprises later.
Update:
It took 6 days to receive my gift card after shipping my wife's phone.
And again, this was a phone where all of the moisture sensors had been tripped.
6-days -- no surprises -- received exactly what had been quoted.

Now if only the Apple Store App would accept gift cards I'd be pretty well prepared for the 20th.
Without that I'm going to have to take my chances with the website.
Gjwilly is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 05:50 AM   #171
jertronic
macrumors member

What's the deal with utilizing this trade-in program for the 5s.

I have 4s in perfect condition and want the 5s. What can I expect to get for it?
jertronic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:35 AM   #172
inboxer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertronic View Post
What's the deal with utilizing this trade-in program for the 5s.

I have 4s in perfect condition and want the 5s. What can I expect to get for it?
My friend went to the Apple Store on fifth ave this morning and didnt even bother inquiring about the tradein program because it was absolute chaos in there. You're better off just selling your device for cash on websites like buybackworld or gazelle.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion