Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Oct 3, 2013, 08:31 PM   #101
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
I see. You're just fulfilling their fantasies.

Well then, carry on.
You've completely failed to counter his argument.
likemyorbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 08:37 PM   #102
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
Another bitter OS X 10.8 user. Try OS X Mavericks when it's released.
No, I mean like real mountain lions. Don't like em.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 08:56 PM   #103
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
You've completely failed to counter his argument.
Interesting.

I don't try to counter every argument.

Sometimes I'm content to simply disagree.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:45 PM   #104
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Ah, hunting ... I wonder if the 14 year-old felt any emotion when he was killing those two men.

Quote:
Boy, 14, held in shooting deaths of two men at Oregon hunting camp

Thu Oct 3, 2013 9:46pm EDT

(Reuters) - A 14-year-old boy allegedly shot and killed two men at a remote deer hunting cabin in northeastern Oregon, authorities said Thursday, before accidentally shooting himself in the leg while attempting to flee.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...99301S20131004
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:49 AM   #105
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Ah, hunting ... I wonder if the 14 year-old felt any emotion when he was killing those two men.
Relevancy is...what?

I've been deployed and fired my weapon plenty of times in a combat zone, but I personally don't enjoy hunting animals. I've done it, but never as a trophy hunt. Not opposed, not pushing for any bans, it's just not for me.

I go with my brother-in-law on bow hunts when he gets tags. It's good eats but I always sorta feel bad.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:54 AM   #106
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Relevancy is...what?
Actually it's completely on-topic considering the question asked in the OP ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
My question to you guys is this, do you think that killing animals for sport is a "gateway drug" to killing people? If you are so numb to the suffering of another living creature, are you a threat to civilized society?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 02:36 PM   #107
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Relevancy is...what?

I've been deployed and fired my weapon plenty of times in a combat zone, but I personally don't enjoy hunting animals. I've done it, but never as a trophy hunt. Not opposed, not pushing for any bans, it's just not for me.

I go with my brother-in-law on bow hunts when he gets tags. It's good eats but I always sorta feel bad.
My predominant issues with the guy mentioned by the OP were his sadistic nature and trophy hunting animals on the endangered species list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfingers View Post
Animals face these threats by the definition of "the wild". So if this is the principle you live by, shouldn't you be protesting... the entire way everything has been forever? "CURSE YOU FOOD CHAIN *shaking fist*" Doesn't it seem a little presumptuous or inappropriate to encourage people like me to not hunt with my family? Especially considering that the end result is essentially identical for the animals?
I take an issue with hunting when it's only for sport or where it has a profound impact on the ecosystem. Some ecosystems are very fragile, but it varies. Typically over-population of a given species is due to poor population of natural predators. I am not sure what wolf populations are like in the area discussed, but driving out to the forest doesn't make you a natural predator. Hunters do more than take adjust animal populations. They can damage an environment with the way they walk or introduce lead from ammunition. You should at least be able to acknowledge that they are not the same thing in terms of impact on the environment.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:12 PM   #108
NickZac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrorider View Post
Yet you "enjoy eating meat" from animals that have suffered and support that suffering* I'm happy you're sickened by this, but until you stop supporting practices leading to animal suffering, it's all just posturing.

*Assuming you're a meat eater that like most gets their meat indirectly from factory farms
Hunting is a viable solution to factory farming in addition to free range farming.

Anti-hunting practices have done a great job fueling the silent suffering of animals through "politically correct" means of population control...and allowing invasive species to extinct native populations. Animal 'welfare' organizations lobbying against hunting fuels animal suffering greatly. Don't believe me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_...rhagic_disease

Ever seen a rabbit die from this? It's terrible. It screams nonstop through the scream thought to be an evolutionary development to invite predators to 'finish it off' because it is suffering so much. It jerks so hard it breaks bones in its body. It bleeds out of every hole it has. It can go on for days. The disease control agents and biological agents used on rabbits are slow and cause exceptional pain. And they are used on a lot more animals than just rabbits (although rabbits are arguably the most abused of all animals). Seeing a video of a rabbit dying from RHD brought back memories of when I saw a guy who jumped off a building take about half an hour to die after more or less becoming human jello...there aren't words in our language to describe the pain.
NickZac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues