Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:20 AM   #576
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCarriere View Post
I don't care if they make a larger one, just keep a smaller as an option as well.
And that's the best way to go about it.

Cover all bases
thehustleman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:38 AM   #577
h4ck
macrumors regular

so what have we learned, ladies?

*cough*
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:49 AM   #578
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehustleman View Post
And that's the best way to go about it.

Cover all bases
This. People who want larger iPhones aren't any more right or wrong than people who want them to stay exactly as they are. Tastes differ.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:09 AM   #579
mr.bee
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
This. People who want larger iPhones aren't any more right or wrong than people who want them to stay exactly as they are. Tastes differ.
yes there is.

It's downright stupid to cover your ENTIRE FACE with a phone.

opening such a big ugly phone is bothersome to everyone near them.

It's like an SUV. You can't argue about how nasty these things are in public. And we all know who drives these sort of melted sneakers.

mr.bee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:22 AM   #580
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.bee View Post
yes there is.

It's downright stupid to cover your ENTIRE FACE with a phone.

opening such a big ugly phone is bothersome to everyone near them.

It's like an SUV. You can't argue about how nasty these things are in public. And we all know who drives these sort of melted sneakers.

If you ask me, a 4.7" phone isn't all that much bigger than the current iPhone in the grand scheme of things. If you're talking about holding something the size of the iPad up to your head, then yeah, that does look dumb. But something that's roughly an inch bigger than the iPhone wouldn't look any worse from a class and taste perspective.

I see people holding Galaxy S3's and 4's up to their head all the time, and I'm not sitting there thinking "OMG YOU POOR VICTIMS OF TECHNOLOGY FASHIONS MAY THE GODS OF DESIGN HAVE MERCY UPON YOUR TASTELESS SOULS". It's just a slightly larger phone.
Renzatic is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 05:28 PM   #581
mr.bee
macrumors regular

Quote:
"OMG YOU POOR VICTIMS OF TECHNOLOGY FASHIONS MAY THE GODS OF DESIGN HAVE MERCY UPON YOUR TASTELESS SOULS".
I laughed

The iphone is designed to be operated in one hand. you can't do that with a bigger screen or you have to ignore 60% of the population?
mr.bee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 09:27 PM   #582
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I laughed

The iphone is designed to be operated in one hand. you can't do that with a bigger screen or you have to ignore 60% of the population?
The galaxy s 3 and 4 are TOTALLY one hand friendly as is the HTC ONE.

One hand friendly, bugger screen, higher ppi, more modern featureset, I'm failing to see the downfall.

Instead of iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c,make iPhone 6 and iPhone 6m (medium - in the 4.5-4.7" range) and iPhone XL on the same size as the note.

This way everyone gets what they want and everyone is happy - can't beat that.
thehustleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 09:33 PM   #583
Rootus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If the iPhone is the biggest phone you can comfortably operate one-handed, you are in a much smaller segment of the population than 60%. Lots of people operate phones like the Nexus 4 every day without having to use two hands.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 02:43 AM   #584
mr.bee
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootus View Post
If the iPhone is the biggest phone you can comfortably operate one-handed, you are in a much smaller segment of the population than 60%. Lots of people operate phones like the Nexus 4 every day without having to use two hands.
Well, when I have my Iphone in one hand, I can just reach the opposite side of the screen with my dumb so I don't need/want to have a bigger phone.

for the original Iphone, as you can read in the interview here, that's what Tim Cook is also saying
"When you hold this, it’s just perfect in your hand. It feels like it was made for your hand."
http://www.businessweek.com/articles...g-businessweek

eventually they can bring out other sizes, but it won't be 'just another size' imo.
mr.bee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 03:08 AM   #585
Tysknaden
macrumors regular

:-(

Plastic and ridiculously huge screens.
Obviously, Samsung is now the trendsetter :-(
Mr Cook should stop this horror by just allowing the iPad Mini having phone ability.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootus View Post
Yes. While using an arm or one leg as a table.
Tysknaden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 08:45 AM   #586
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysknaden View Post
Plastic and ridiculously huge screens.
Obviously, Samsung is now the trendsetter :-(
Mr Cook should stop this horror by just allowing the iPad Mini having phone ability.

----------

Yes. While using an arm or one leg as a table.
Um, the galaxy s 4 isn't a ridiculously huge screen. T's actually pretty comfortable and one hand friendly.

I've used it, it's great.

I've also used every phone apple has ever made and Samsung makes the perfect marriage of pocketability, screen size, phone size, and one hand friendliness.

The note on the other hand I can see being too big though, but even that still fits in the pocket easily
thehustleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 09:55 AM   #587
Spacial
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If you ask me, a 4.7" phone isn't all that much bigger than the current iPhone in the grand scheme of things. If you're talking about holding something the size of the iPad up to your head, then yeah, that does look dumb. But something that's roughly an inch bigger than the iPhone wouldn't look any worse from a class and taste perspective.

I see people holding Galaxy S3's and 4's up to their head all the time, and I'm not sitting there thinking "OMG YOU POOR VICTIMS OF TECHNOLOGY FASHIONS MAY THE GODS OF DESIGN HAVE MERCY UPON YOUR TASTELESS SOULS". It's just a slightly larger phone.
I agree with you 100%.

The only problem, is this line of thinking contains more common sense and maturity than many in the Apple blogosphere can handle
Spacial is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:19 PM   #588
Rootus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Well, when I have my Iphone in one hand, I can just reach the opposite side of the screen with my dumb so I don't need/want to have a bigger phone.
A good reason for several sizes to choose from. I can hold a Note 2 in one hand and reach the other side with my thumb.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 05:27 PM   #589
3lite
macrumors 6502

I have a hard time believing Apple is going to make a phone the size of a Galaxy... I just don't see it.

But if they do, game over.

Game over.
3lite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 04:46 AM   #590
northstarweb
macrumors newbie

Bigger isn't better

I've still got a 4s and I love it. It fits in my pocket and has a decent weight - it feels substantial and well made. I am loathed to upgrade to the 5 as it looks and feels plastic and flimsy. It's too big in my opinion. Getting larger than that would be just ridiculous. I do hope they don't go down this route.
northstarweb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 08:01 AM   #591
vikingjunior
macrumors 6502

It's no secret that most of android success came from it being on bigger screens.
vikingjunior is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 08:03 AM   #592
X5-599
macrumors member

So, let them keep theirs and give me an option for my preferred screen size! 3.5" is perfect for one handed use!
X5-599 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 05:41 PM   #593
ardchoille42
macrumors regular

Larger screen? Not this year

From Daisuke Wakabayashi’s interview with Tim Cook in The Wall Street Journal:

"What we’ve said is that until the technology is ready, we don’t want to cross that line. That doesn’t say we’ll never do it. We want to give our customers what’s right in all respects – not just the size but in the resolution, in the clarity, in the contrast, in the reliability. There are many different parameters to measure a display and we care about all those, because we know that’s the window to the software."

So, will the next iPhone have a larger screen? Maybe someday.
ardchoille42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 07:25 PM   #594
tacotester1
macrumors member

im interested i just hope they make an option without the finger scan

and a size that isn't humungous. because it is a phone
im not Shaq and it needs to fit in my pocket still.
but always excited to see what they come up with.

thats gonna mean trouble for apps tho with such a dramatic screen size difference.
tacotester1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:01 PM   #595
Ramio
macrumors 6502

If Apple was smart they would have made larger screen phones a while back. Many people I know didn't buy iPhones because of screen size. Apple is losing millions of customers because of this which is a huge profit segment. I'm sure they won't get all of these customers back once they do make a larger phone but I'm sure they will sell a whole lot more. The S4 sold 20 million to date and I can guarantee you most purchased it because of the larger screen. Smart choice on apples side. Batter late than never. The ideal situation would be to make 2 sizes....1 for the people who like smaller phones and the ones who like the larger phones. Me personally can't wait for a 4.7 inch plus iphone :-)
Ramio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:32 PM   #596
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Apple Considering 4.7" and 5.7" Screens for 2014 iPhone Models, iPhone 5S and...

Apple does nothing without serious market research these days.

Larger screens are not the panacea that some make them out to be, and no you cannot guarantee that the S4 sold because it had a larger screen.... Utter nonsense.

How many people said emphatically that Apple MUST have a cheaper model iPhone. They finally did it with the 5C only to discover that sales are way below expectations.

They won't repeat that mistake.
thewitt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:06 AM   #597
Dominicanyor
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
Apple does nothing without serious market research these days.

Larger screens are not the panacea that some make them out to be, and no you cannot guarantee that the S4 sold because it had a larger screen.... Utter nonsense.

How many people said emphatically that Apple MUST have a cheaper model iPhone. They finally did it with the 5C only to discover that sales are way below expectations.

They won't repeat that mistake.
Agree.
Dominicanyor is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion