Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macs4lyfe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Hey guys. I just saw the 50 discount that Best Buy is offering and wanted to take advantage of it. My dad has an iPhone on
AT T and I have a contract with T-Mobile. I was wondering if my dad could buy the phone from T-Mobile and give it to me. If I switch out the SIM, could I keep my number?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes, but you will need to unlock the iphone 5 cause it will still be locked to AT&T till the 2 year contract is up.
You can purchase an IMEI unlock for it on ebay.
Then go to tmobile to get a nanosim with your phone number.
If they dont have nanosims available you can try cutting your sim down to nano size.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
What do you mean by it will still be locked up with At&t

He means that you cant use it on t-mobile until you get the imei unlocked. When the phone is under contract with ATT then dont let you use it with another carrier until your contract is up. To get around that you have to get it unlocked with one of the unlockers on ebay.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
You guys aren't answering OP's question. He said his dad has an iPhone on AT&T, which is actually irrelevant to his question. He's asking if his dad can get an iPhone through T-Mobile and then give it to him.

OP, the answer is that T-Mobile doesn't sell the iPhone. What you CAN do is get an unlocked iPhone 5 from the Apple store. It'll work just fine on T-Mobile's network. But be advised that 3G/4G only works in certain markets with the iPhone because T-Mobile is still upgrading their network. The entire country should be done by next year, but you want to make sure your area is covered otherwise you could be stuck with a a slower EDGE connection in the meantime.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
You can only get the $50 discount off of the subsidized price with a 2-year activation. The AT&T line that is activated will have an ETF if you don't keep it for 2 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.