Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
There are lots and lots and lots, people like new tech, and if you can easily get a new iPhone every year, then they will. It's been proved already, just look at the Nexus 4, good spec and cheap and it's been selling like nothing else! In fact it's spec almost beats the iPhone 5!

Apple will need to keep the retina display and LTE and a decent camera. It should really inclue NFC as well although it's still not really taken off. But it can do all this at different price level, like use a slower LTE speed chip, use the iPhone 5's camera and give the iPhone 5s or 6 a better one, use a plastic case, use a dual core GPU and CPU A6 at 1ghz with 1 gb ram, give the higher end iPhone 2 gb ram and 1.5ghz with tri core or quad core graphics like it has now, use a 3.5" screen as that will save a lot or use the iPhone 5 screen and give the higher end iPhone a much higher res one.

Their are so many things you can do to produce a lower price model without skimping on specs, and considering how much profit Apple place on their products they have MORE then enough room to do it price wise, they could even charge £350 for a 32GB version and £279 for a 16GB version or something, again give the higher end model 32, 64, 128 storage choices.

Yeah the Nexus sells very well and it it's price you can afford to buy one every year.

If Apple could bring one out for no more than $350,$329 would be better but you know the Apple tax;) I would probably buy a new one every year but $600 plus I can't justify one every year also at the lower price point I wouldn't sign a cell contract.

I know there are some who buy a new one every year by selling their current one but I'm not big on selling stuff. I normally pass it on to family or keep as a spare.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Yeah the Nexus sells very well and it it's price you can afford to buy one every year.

If Apple could bring one out for no more than $350,$329 would be better but you know the Apple tax;) I would probably buy a new one every year but $600 plus I can't justify one every year also at the lower price point I wouldn't sign a cell contract.

I know there are some who buy a new one every year by selling their current one but I'm not big on selling stuff. I normally pass it on to family or keep as a spare.

I had to save and scrimp to buy the iPhone 5, I had an iPhone 4 16gb and wanted the newer specs and speed but also a 32gb model. But I would happily buy a cheaper iPhone with the right specs and do what you said, buy a new one every year or two and pass the old one on to a family member as I won't need to sell it to cover a new iPhone cost.

I certainly think a cheaper iPhone would give Apple a big push of market share.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I think plastic is fine just like it is for Samsung. My phone is in a plastic case anyway.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I don't mind plastic on mid range or low end phones, despite that the Nexus 4 uses glass like the iPhone 4, but I don't think Samsung should use plastic for the Galaxy S4 and then charge the same for it as the HTC one, Xperia Z, iPhone etc. And why can't Samsung use metal or glass like everyone else?

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
So it's ok for Apple to use plastic but no other manufacturers? :confused:

Granted, it's a low-end phone but still...

heh heh, I think you answer your own question. If you pay $600-700 for a phone, you expect good quality. If you pay $300-400, you expect lesser quality. Like it or not, the look and feel of a smartphone is part of what we get for our money. Some people care a lot about the looks and feel while other don't. I think the interesting rumor is that the low cost iphone will use a shell make with a material mixing plastic and fiber glass. It should be interesting to make the comparison for phone in the same $300-400 price point and see how Apple come out.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Honestly, this is the most sensible rumor I've seen.
They need to retire the 4 and 4S this year in order to get all phones on the same 4" screen and lightning connector.

Agreed about the 4 and 4s. It sounds sensible enough as far as streamlining of product lines is concerned: An iPhone 5s and a 5, each in two configurations, ie the GSM/CDMA world version and the TD Chinese version. Where it gets more convoluted is, when onboard memory and colors are added to the mix. If they could come up with a single GSM/CDMA/TD chip, that would of course cut the line up in half.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
But don't you think it will eat into margins? If I can get a similar spec iPhone for mega cheap why would I get the expensive one?

It's like the mini. It has to eat into 9.7" iPad sales...

Yeah... if you can get a "similar" iPhone for half the price of the "good" iPhone... I bet many people would just got for the cheaper one instead.

I'm just wondering what kind of line Apple will draw to differentiate the two types of iPhone.

Currently... Apple sells older iPhones for lower prices. But they aren't low enough for some markets. I have no idea how they will make a less-expensive, but truly capable iPhone.

iPods come in all shapes and sizes... from the $49 iPod Shuffle to the $399 iPod Touch. But they are two different devices with different use-cases.

I don't know how they can put the name "iPhone" on something that won't deliver the full iPhone experience.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Bring back the original iPhone, without 3G/4G/LTE, and put in a modern CPU & display. It would be perfect for all the people that don't only needs a phone & iPod without an annoying data plan.

Except, of course, for the severe lack of coverage. AT&T no longer has GSM (2G) over their entire network area. Even in places that do, some areas (such as New York) are running minimal and severely overloaded GSM networks to allow an additional UMTS (3G) channel. This is why AT&T doesn't allow 3G disable options on phones they sell. They want to shut down GSM. No AT&T phone, even prepaid, sold today does not support UMTS.

So no, no that isn't an option at all.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Beginning of the end for Apple if this happens.

They're not a company who competes on price by giving up quality.

What in the report suggests a drop in quality? Plastic? A flexible plastic case actually would give almost the same - if not more - protection to the device internals than a rigid metal case.

I see no problems with a cheaper iPhone enclosed in a plastic case (but with a Gorilla Glass) like in the Samsung devices. The same way I like my late-2009 White Macbook. If a metal body gave me waterproof resistance then it would be another story.

----------

Except, of course, for the severe lack of coverage. AT&T no longer has GSM (2G) over their entire network area. Even in places that do, some areas (such as New York) are running minimal and severely overloaded GSM networks to allow an additional UMTS (3G) channel. This is why AT&T doesn't allow 3G disable options on phones they sell. They want to shut down GSM. No AT&T phone, even prepaid, sold today does not support UMTS.

So no, no that isn't an option at all.

Except in other countries. Here in Brazil GSM is the rule, 3G/HSDPA is only available in the big cities. Nokia still sells a lot of 2G-only + WiFi phones here. This is what I always say, but Apple needs to change its way of thinking when designing a cheaper iPhone. It has nothing to do with less build quality but it has to do with what subset of features is best to the consumers of a less expensive iPhone.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
(...)
Currently... Apple sells older iPhones for lower prices. But they aren't low enough for some markets. I have no idea how they will make a less-expensive, but truly capable iPhone.(...)

Think of an iPhone 4 in a cheaper case, no 4G/LTE, 8GB of internal memory, no retina display.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Think of an iPhone 4 in a cheaper case, no 4G/LTE, 8GB of internal memory, no retina display.

I guess... but then they'd have to sell it for at least $299 to maintain the Apple brand and profit margins. Remember... Apple doesn't ship junk.

There are still Android phones that you can buy unlocked for $149... Apple isn't competing against those, right?

CoolSpot

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
The real question is "How will Apple cripple this phone so that the high-end iphones remain attractive?"

They certainly aren't going to let people get away with just a plastic case and the full iphone experience.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Am I the only person who no longer wants thinner and lighter?
The new iPhone 5 is almost too light. It needs to have some heft, otherwise, it makes it hard to hold.

Agree make it a little thicker with a larger battery

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2013
The real question is "How will Apple cripple this phone so that the high-end iphones remain attractive?"

They certainly aren't going to let people get away with just a plastic case and the full iphone experience.

One possibility is that it basically matches the iPhone 5 for features, but doesn't have the advanced features that the next premium iPhone will have. So it isn't "crippled" at all (relative to what is available now) - it just doesn't get whatever hardware improvements are coming next.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I guess... but then they'd have to sell it for at least $299 to maintain the Apple brand and profit margins. Remember... Apple doesn't ship junk.

There are still Android phones that you can buy unlocked for $149... Apple isn't competing against those, right?

I think the lowest end phone that Apple can make would be someone that could compete with a Galaxy Ace II. Actually, a less expensive iPhone would cost the price of a Galaxy SIII Mini, but would be just slightly better than an Ace II.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
If the build quality is at least on par with the iPod Touch, it should be a hit. Take the new Touch for a spin. Yeah it's plastic, but it still feels great. My biggest worry with a low cost iPhone is an antiquated processor. I hope it at least has an A6. An A5 is starting to be a bit dated.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Instagram was iPhone-only and now that every Android has it, it sucks.

The same with the iPhone; "premium" people (ugh, what a horrible word did I choose) buy Apple products and now that everyone will be able to get one it won't be cool and exclusive anymore. D:

Droidrage729

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Lower-Cost iPhone Said to Use 'Super-Thin' Plastic and Fiberglass Shell in 4-...

I think spec wise the cheaper iPhone 5 will have 4s internals with maybe a 5 mp camera. Which I am ok with long as its 300-350. I have never had an issue with plastic phones its all I've had since I got my iPhone 5 and my thought process when getting one was whoa it's gunna be awesome to have an aluminum phone yessss.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Looking back, clearly it was unwise to expect one iPhone model to carry the load for an enormous company competing in a 7 billion person market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.